Moving to VT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm looking to meet some Homebrewers in VT. I'll be moving to the Springfield area in a few weeks, and would enjoy catching up with people into good beer. Any info on LHBSs or bars that serve Micros would be helpful...
Thanks

Check in with Glibbidy, he's outside of Brattleboro.

I'm in northwestern MA, prolly two hours from where you'll be (I grew up in VT, though). There are a couple other Vermonters around, as well.

I've been offline since I finished the constrution work at my parent's place in FLA.
(or almost finished... Damn Olympic Hockey:rockin: ) Where I'm moving to we are online and I want to get into brewing again... I had grand plans for where I was in Mass., but I just didn't make any money this year:( Stupid economy!
Hopefully thats all behind me...

WOW AWESOME!!! i live in springfield vt!!! i can't find any other homebrewers in town... you have to get a hold of me.

and the bars here, actually restaurants that serve beer, really suck. the few restaurants that serve ANY beer that is. there are NO bars at all around here, very depressing. never forget that vermont has a 13% tax on booze in bars and restaurants. it's worse than the 10% tax on pre-made food... it makes homebrewing kinda cheap! and usually the only non big commercial beer you can get on tap is harpoon, catamount, long trail, or magic hat. but the breweries are close and cheaper.

i usually head down to mass to visit relatives and pick up some good beer down there, that's the only way to get it in these parts. there ain't much good beer here, since we have state controlled liqour stores that don't sell much. but joe's discount liqours in spfld isn't to bad, sometimes they have a decent selection.

and homebrew supplies are hard to find locally, i usually go to nothampton mass or a little package store in bennigton vt, both an hour or so away.

let me know if you want to have a brew session. maybe i'll save one of my chocolate stouts or strawberry ales for ya. i have a big garage we can brew in if you have the burners, otherwise it's on my stove.

barrett

barrettskrypeck at yahoo dotcom email me!

gremlin said:
and homebrew supplies are hard to find locally, i usually go to nothampton mass or a little package store in bennigton vt, both an hour or so away.

I was just at the Smoker's Den last weekend for the first time in ages! I grew up around there, but have only been in there since I moved to buy wine. HOLY CRAP that's a beautiful beer selection he has! I got talking to the owner, seems like a really cool guy. They can't stock Stone 10th Annniversary, what I was looking for, but he's had it and was raving about it.

Never noticed the homebrew supplies until I was on my way out the door... "are those... are those.. Ale Pails I spy?"

Great beer selection, lots of good wine, nice cigars, and homebrew supplies - probably worth a trip across the state.

I'll have to make my way back up north more often, I didn't get a chance to peruse the selection too closely, but it's a bit closer to where I live now than the store I usually go to.

There really isn't much along the lines of any LHBS in the area. I'm down in Brattleboro, and I usually head to Beer and Winemaking Supplies in Northampon, MA. They are relatively close, and have a decent selection of supplies. When you are down there be sure to stop by Table and Vine which has an OUTSTANDING selection of bottles.

Heed Gremlins words, and visit Harpoon or Long Trail which are just up the road. Two other great places are McNeills Brewery in Brattleboro, and The Seven Barrel brewery in Hanover, NH.

I'd be up for an indoor/outdoor session sometime in Brattleboro if you guys are interested. I got plenty on tap, and a nice little lab set up in the basement.

the_bird said:
They can't stock Stone 10th Annniversary, what I was looking for, but he's had it and was raving about it.
I talked to Mike Saklad from Stone about this the last time I saw him, and he said they don't sell any of their products in VT.

I was however able to pick up a bottle of Stone's 10th anniversary IPA at Ryan and Casey's the last time I was in Greenfield, MA. I have yet to crack it open.

I think it'd be awesome to have a get-together once Hippie's in the area. I'd love to see your "lab." Might be fun, too, to get all the folks in the general area together for a day of brewery tours.

Why should the North Carolina folks have all the fun?

I have the space and a few extra kettles, so I'd be up for hosting such an event. Perhaps we can talk the Kaiser into making a road trip out to VT. I would also be able to make arrangements for a private tour of McNeills Brewery.

That would be awesome. We should plan on something in the not too-distant future, before the weather turns too nasty.

Hippie, when are you going to be settled into your new digs?

I'm looking at Nov. 1 or so... In the next few days (prob begining of the week) I have to drive up there to try and get some work, as I don't have anything lined up...

Gremlin, I have 2 burners, so that sounds good, as I don't have much else right now... I'm somewhat of a newbie, I brew my only batch like 12 years ago, and then never stayed anyplace long enough to set up again... I also have a few Corny Kegs (the Coke style, forget which that is) but no CO2 setup.

Hitting the Breweries sound good:fro: I've been to the Long Trail one on Rt 4 (Woodstock?) and enjoyed it alot (Yea Double Bag!)

Well Guys, Gotta run, talk to ya'll later

BTW is it true that The Bird is the Word?:rockin:

Ya'll think we should post something on the gatherings board for the (possible)brew pub trip?

So what's the status of this? I want this to happen, but since Glibiddy's the one volunteering space and with the good connections, I guess it's in his court.

most weekends are good for me, just keep us posted here!

should we do some kind of bulk purchase for supplies? send money to whomever's closest to a hbs?

barrett

I'll be making a trip to the HBS before either of the dates Glibiddy mentioned. Since I know you Vermont boys are a little limited, I can pick up supplies and you can pay me back. Just let me know what you need. The place I go is pretty well-stocked.

Any update here?

I'm trying to plan the timing of my next batch. If we're talking about doing something on the 19th, I'll buy ingredients when I'm in Northampton this weekend. If it's not until December (or if this isn't going to work out), I'll hold off.

19th of November just isn't going to work. I'm going to block out December 3rd as the date I could pull this together. Gives me a month to sort the logistics out.
Who's in?

Sorry I haven't been around, been pretty busy. Dec. works for me depending on what comes from my job search...

If you guys are going to get something going for december and ther'd be room for one more I might be able to make the trek on up from boston. I actually wanted to head all the way up to Burlington before the holidays for my annual Magic Hat run so depending on the date/timing I might be drivin' though that neck of the woods anyway. Let me know if the door's open!

Latest posts

Back