A water filtration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
So I am looking to brew some German lagers in the near future and am looking into water options. I don't know my water report, but I know my water is very hard and filled with minerals. My grocery store has a glacier water machine, and I was wondering how effective the following process would be at softening/ridding the water of minerals, organics, and other water stuff.

purification%20story_website.jpg

here is there site:
http://www.glacierwater.com/quality.htm

Would this kind of process work well for lighter lagers

I would think so. I believe you would want to add something to soften the water though. Someone who does light lagers may add more.

The RO would pretty much strip everything out. You would need to add some nutrients back in, or just cut your tap water 25/75 or 50/50 with it.

If you haven't made one with just tap water I'd say try that first, and if you feel you need to then start cutting it 50/50

I brew all my beers with tap water, however, I brew mostly English style brews where hard water is a plus. I think I will cut my tap water 25/75 with the glacier.

Back