light-weight chainsaw recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
There's a limit to the usefulness of an electric chain saw when you have 11 acres of land. I plan on getting a gas saw soon. Anyone have a recommendation? Nothing professional needed, 16-18" blade should be fine.

We just bought this one: http://www.drillspot.com/cart?prodid=311122&qty=1

The price (free shipping) was great, and it came it a couple of days. Now, we've only used it one day so I can't give you any recommendation for how long it will last, but it is lightweight and easy to use and we were really happy with it. it is replacing a very similar model (same size/brand) that is about 20 years old.

Interesting, the Husqvarna 137 is at the top of my list, just from basic research. Lot of the pros around here use the 32 or 36" ones.

After the last storm:

http://www.demonwarp.com/storm_aug_2007/

I picked one of these up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFQ0BC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It gave me problems on the first day. I was prepared to take it back. However, I think it may have just been a break in period. Ever since that first day, it has been flawless and starts right up. Takes about 20 seconds to warm up then you're good to go. One thing that wasn't "break in" related...the throttle cable slipped off internally one time...

That price on amazon is rediculous. I think I paid $160 at Menard's.

I should say that if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably drop the extra money for a Stihl or Husqy. I just didn't have the luxury of time to shop around...

Last edited by a moderator:
About 5 years ago I bought a used 16" Stihl 025 on Ebay for about $150. It has worked out great. I only need it about 2-3 times a year, but it's the perfect size. Large enough to cut through any downed trees, but still small enough that it's comfortable to carry around all day. I've traveled with it as well to help friends clean up after storms and it's easy to get replacement parts / chains anywhere. If you can, I'd suggest investing a little extra to get a Stihl or Husqvarna.

david_42 said:
Interesting, the Husqvarna 137 is at the top of my list, just from basic research. Lot of the pros around here use the 32 or 36" ones.

Go with your instincts David. You will not be disappointed with anything made by Husqvarna. It will probably outlast you! :D My Dad has had one for quite some time and all he has ever done to it is regular maintenance.

I bought a craftsman last year because it was like $80 off. I think its a 52cc with an 18" bar on it and Ive been happy with it. I put a stihl chain on it though which cuts alot nicer, but the thing runs great.

Cant go wrong with a Husky or a Stihl though.....

Back