Beyonce VS Elvis!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recently had a friend on Facebook decry the choice of Beyonce for halftime performer at the Superbowl. He cut her down and exclaimed over how there isn't someone like Elvis doing performances at the Superbowl anymore. He cited her gyrations and lack of decency for his disapproval.

So what's the consensus? Elvis, or Beyonce?

Wait, Elvis didn't have gyrations?

Eminem kinda had it done right

Though I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley, to do Black Music so selfishly
and use it to get myself wealthy (Hey)
there's a concept that works

(Warning sarcasim.) What? Wait. Gyrating around and lack of decency. The Ed Sullivan show refused to show Elvis below the shoulders for the same reason. I guess we could compare it to the other Super Bowl half time shows: The Who, pedo and drugs. That’s decent. Madonna. The whole slavery thing. Kiss. A bunch of old dudes in drag and high heels. Umm, how about Janet Jackson. Oh the whole boob thing. Well what about Prince? Nah, the whole thing with the guitar. You know I think he may have something. We should return to marching bands and such. :fro:

Ok, the best part was he cleared up later that he was not talking about early gyrating hips Elvis, but later 1973 Hawaii performance Elvis as his differentiation.

But was Elvis "all that"? He had a long list of other well known performers who cited Elvis as their inspiration. Valid?

I'm not a big Elvis fan. He's ok, but doesn't have any really outstanding feature IMO. His image was a big thing (as is Beyonce's)

I'd like to think that Beyonce has a great voice, but is wasting it in her genre. Hard to know without hearing her without the modern recording and performance enhancements though.

The halftime show is impossible to appease everyone. Musical tastes within the same generation are so varied that if they put on someone I liked and thought did a good job my friends would think they were horrible. Beyonce's outfit was a little less then tasteful to me. But I also was not complaining.

I'm sorry but the only music I will ever associate with football will be the orchestral stuff from NFL Films. It's so epic. I really think this year would have been a great year to have an orchestra perform some of those songs too with the recent passing of Steve Sabol.

BTW best half time show in recent memory, hands down Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

LINK

And it's so awesome that they were able to do this before Big Man passed

I haven't been that impressed with many halftime shows at all. Maybe it's one of those "gotta be there" things. I was pumped for The Who and they sucked. I've seen them in other live performances and they rocked. I kind of like when "special guests" come in and sing with together. Sometimes it works pretty well.

But I just don't get Elvis. He could sing, granted, but he didn't seem to stand out in ability IMO. Not a WOW! singer. He didn't write songs. I don't know. I mean, you can take Bob Dylan for example. His singing SUCKS, but you can't deny he had an incredible songwriting ability. Even the Beatles (who I'm not convinced were overrated, but aren't one of my most favorite bands) wrote their songs and many others and performed on their own instruments and took Rock and Roll to a whole nother level.

Maybe it comes down to I just don't appreciate Elvis's voice? It does nothing for me. Maybe I had to be there to experience it? (I remember watching him on a tv special with the white jumpsuit and sparklies when I was young) I can agree that he opened the door for a lot of other musicians, but I also believe that if it wasn't him, it would have been someone else. I think the time was just right for him. Maybe I just can't appreciate him from the future when music has evolved the way it has.

If you compare Elvis to another Hugely Popular performer, say, Michael Jackson, I'd still say MJ comes out on top. They were both huge and influenced a future generation of performers. MJ wrote a lot of his music, danced and performed like no other, and could sing like crazy. Even Madonna was a lot like Elvis in the way that she influenced future female performers. And her voice wasn't even all that great too...

It's very hard to compare someone in today's music with Elvis, because they will have the advantage of having the modern effects and autotune garbage is so popular today. (I like it for a special effect, not as a crutch). You can't tell who's real and who isn't. I'd really rather hear a live, pure voice, with all of it's flaws, than a pitch perfect autotuned performance.

Eh, I have never really been a fan of the half time shows. I do agree Springsteen was great and I enjoyed Tom Petty. I do think they try to appeal to the masses, but with the mixed demographics who watch the superbowl...that really can't happen.

I am not into the Beyonce' music genre. I don't really like the whole spectacle and lip syncing of pop music. She is good at what she does, but I think its more of a stage show than about the music persay. Isn't that what they would want for the superbowl? A spectacle and not really a rock concert?

For what it was, it was a show. Most of the bands/music I listen to would never even be considered for the superbowl. Jam Bands just don't fit the bill.

That being said, I would vote elvis over beyonce...but then again as I said I don't really care for her anyhow.

World cup 2002 had an Elvis song (remix) as the theme song for the entire competition. I loved it. A little less conversation, A little more action. Yea baby, that's my motto.

No way you can watch this and not get up out of your chair. They did it right that year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently had a friend on Facebook decry the choice of Beyonce for halftime performer at the Superbowl. He cut her down and exclaimed over how there isn't someone like Elvis doing performances at the Superbowl anymore. He cited her gyrations and lack of decency for his disapproval.

So what's the consensus? Elvis, or Beyonce?

Beyonce is alive, Elvis is dead...
Beyonce wins.
Regards, GF.

JLL was the MJ of his generation...

=D

301.jpg

Beyonce probably appeals to more people en mass than many other artists.

Personally, I prefer the king. But he's dead. So he can't do the Superbowl.

During his time, he was on top, he brought music to a whole new level where everyone knew who he was. The Superbowl though, as stated earlier is a show. It's not about music. Just the show.

I had some friends with the same complaints though, well, not Elvis, but
Ok next year SuperBowl Halftime needs to be Colt Ford or the Moonshine Bandits or Brantley Gilbert maybe Garth brooks hell anything Country

No clue who anyone in his list is though except Garth. So everyone is different.

I can kind of see how he created a demand for music that became Rock and Roll. I can't fault him for that. But I'm still not a big fan of HIS music, especially the early stuff.

But since he DID kind of create mainstream Rock, I guess you could say whatever Beyonce is doing is kind of his fault! She is still young and hasn't had to "mature" yet, but she is doing exactly what Elvis did when he started, selling a rebellious, sexy performance.

Hopefully she will move away from the music she is doing and move into something that can show her voice off a little more. But she can wait until the body has started to go south a bit more...

Beyonce probably appeals to more people en mass than many other artists.

Personally, I prefer the king. But he's dead. So he can't do the Superbowl.

During his time, he was on top, he brought music to a whole new level where everyone knew who he was. The Superbowl though, as stated earlier is a show. It's not about music. Just the show.

I had some friends with the same complaints though, well, not Elvis, but

No clue who anyone in his list is though except Garth. So everyone is different.

Problem is that next year there may not be a superbowl halftime show. At least not in the way we've seen it. They're concerned about it being the first show in cold weather, and not just the performers, but also the crew who has to quickly set up the stage and tear it down. My hunch they'll have a concert set up somewhere else. Maybe in the arena that's in the Same parking lot as whatever Giants Stadium is called now.

Problem is that next year there may not be a superbowl halftime show. At least not in the way we've seen it. They're concerned about it being the first show in cold weather, and not just the performers, but also the crew who has to quickly set up the stage and tear it down. My hunch they'll have a concert set up somewhere else. Maybe in the arena that's in the Same parking lot as whatever Giants Stadium is called now.

Candya$$e$

Back