Sanyo 4912 nice find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
If you're in the market for a good deal just keep your eyes open. I have been wanting one of those sanyo 4912's for a while now and got super lucky last night checking craigslist. Found a 4910 in great shape for $45!! Went to pick it up today.

Just gotta clean it up a bit and get started learning exactly how I plan to convert it over. I also need to save my pennies for all the new kegging equipment I will be needing. Such a great deal on the fridge just to make me spend lots more for the other stuff! haha.

I'll be doing much more research, but expect the questions from me to follow as I start. For starters I was thinking picnic tap inside the fridge, instead of the tower to reduce the initial cost, and get me kegging sooner. wise or bad choice?

Good luck to the others lookin for this model, they're out there.

Joe

Good place to start, just make certain it is balanced. Too many party taps only have 3-4 feet of 1/4 inch and you get too much foam.

There is no problem with using picnic taps instead of a draft tower other than having to open the door to dispense (which is what I am doing now). Plus, when you do get a tower you'll have the taps for bringing kegs to parties and what not.

The nice thing about going with picnic taps is that almost nothing needs to be done to the fridge for conversion; you can just pull out the shelves and remove the stuff on the door, add kegs and CO2 tank, and you're good to go. On the other hand, you can do some simple modifications like adding a small shelf in the back for your CO2 tank (allowing you to keep the stuff on the door in many cases) or running your CO2 line outside the fridge so you can have a bigger CO2 tank.

I plan on adding the tower eventually based on plans found here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19762&highlight=sanyo+conversion

Good luck getting the fridge cleaned up and congrats on the cheap score.

omniscientomar said:
Ok, I obviously don't keep up but, what is so special about this particular fridge? Why does everyone want it?

This should almost be made a stickie! This fridge is so popular due to the fact that it doesn't have a freezer and will accompany 2 corny kegs and a co2 tank almost perfectly. The 4.9 cu. ft. Kenmore Elite is almost identical to it. :mug:

dblvsn said:
This should almost be made a stickie! This fridge is so popular due to the fact that it doesn't have a freezer and will accompany 2 corny kegs and a co2 tank almost perfectly. The 4.9 cu. ft. Kenmore Elite is almost identical to it. :mug:

Also there are tons of plans available on the internet for how to install a draft tower on it.

It's a very simple project overall. I did it in my backyard and room next to my kitchen one afternoon. See the link in my sig for how I did mine; there are threads on this board by other folks that cover the same process.

Back