How to tell if a brew batch is safe to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyAndApple

Reaction score
OK, over the period of time, it definitely smells of alcohol.

But this is my first brew and I just don't want to to risk going to toilet every hour or some sick food poisoning.

there are some very thin bubblish white bits floating on the top with yeast settlement on the bottom. I'm concerned that my beer may have gone bad and I want to know.

I apologise if a similar thread has been made in past, but I did Google around pretty hard.

Thanks in advance.

Its normal for small bits, "floaters" if you will, to be present after fermentation, and sometimes in the bottle.

Post your recipe and process for a better evaluation.

You need to bottle the beer and send to us for analysis. :mug:

I may be wrong here (I'm quite the noob myself) but I don't think there's anything that can happen to the beer that will make you sick - unless you add a poisonous ingredient.

In other words, I don't think the normal ingredients in a beer can get you sick.

Barleyandapple, your beer sounds fine. Remember, hundreds of years ago, before modern sanitation, Europeans brewed beer because it was safer than the water.

Cheers!

Here is my understanding: If fermentation is complete you shouldn't have to worry about food poisoning or the like. No known pathogens can live in alcohol. Mind you, if it is infected, it might taste like crap, but it won't make you sick (unless you drink the entire batch in one night). If it is not fermented out - it might be spoiled. I'd agree with FishinDave - it is not uncommon to find white floaters in the primary after fermentation is complete and the krausen has fallen. If the final gravity is OK, I'd go ahead and bottle it and see what you have in 3 or 4 weeks.

There are no known pathogens that can survive the combination of alcohol content and the pH of beer. Which is why beer was favored over water historically.

There are however, lots of yeast. And yeast alone can have you on the toilet for a while until your body acclimates. Or at the least, they will help you to clear the room so you can drink in peace.

You're beer is safe. The worst that will happen is it will be too sour to drink. (here comes some one with a useful cut-n-paste reply about the safety of homebrew in 3...2...1 :D). If you're new to homebrew, take it easy once you start drinking them to (a) make the batch last a little longer and (2) get those intestines used to the additional yeasties that you'll consume with a natural, living product.

EDIT: 2 useful 'no known pathogen" posts in the time it took me to write my reply :D

Doesn't sound infected to me. Proceeds as normal. Even if you do have an infection, the worst you could do is make a funny tasting beer. Most infections are harmless to humans. The most common infection is Lacto-Baccillous (sp?), which is a very friendly bug to have around anyway. Cheese, yogurt, buttermilk, sour cream, lambic beer, peperoni, salami, etc... all have a healthy amount of lacto purposely added. It makes things tangy and sour, including your beer.

Thanks for the peace of mind, will keep you guys updated, I'm about to move it to secondary fementer. My only worry is that there's still a LOT of yeast settlement at the bottom

Thanks for the peace of mind, will keep you guys updated, I'm about to move it to secondary fementer. My only worry is that there's still a LOT of yeast settlement at the bottom

And that is where it should be. If it weren't at the bottom it'd still be suspended in your beer.

Just be careful not to stir up the "cake" on transfer and the secondary will have less to settle out.

Nothing pathogenic can live in beer, including botchuism. So the only "poisoning" you can get is liver poising...but we're all in the same boat with that anyway, so you are in good company. :D

I came across this from a pretty well known and award winning homebrewer railing against a fellow brewer (it was on one of those "color coded" brewboards where they are a little less friendly than we are.) I just cut and pasted it and stuck it in a file...here it is.

Can you get a PATHOGEN from beer. No. NO *NO* Did I make that clear? You have a ZERO chance of pathogens in beer, wine, distilled beverages. PERIOD!

Pathogens are described as organisms that are harmful and potentially life threatening to humans. These are some 1400+ known species overall encompasing viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and helminths. Of that group, we are only interested in those that can be foodborne. Quite simply, if it can't survive in food, it isn't in beer. That knocks out all but bacteria and fungi. Viruses need very specific circumstances to be passed around... like on the lip of a glass or bottle, not the beer in it. **Ahhh...CHOOO!**

Pathogens as a rule are very fastidious beasts. Meaning that they want very specific temperatures, acidity, nutrients and other conditions to thrive.

Bacteria that *could* live in wort, cannot survive even a little bit of fermentation. There are several reasons for this. One is in the 'magic' of hops. It is the isomerized alpha acids that provide a preservative effect to the beer, which happens to inhibit pathogens! Good deal for fresh wort!

Another reason is the drop in pH from fermentation. Next, yeast emit their own enzymes and byproducts, all in an effort to make the environment hostile to other creatures. The major one is alcohol, of course, but their enzymes will break down less vigorous organisms and they become sources of trace nutrition. Now the latter is very minor compared to the effect of alcohol, but it exists! Most of the time these enzymes work on the wort, not organisms until late in the process. Good deal for beer! ...uh, wine too.

Oh, Botulism specifically... did you know that this is an anaerobic pathogen? It's toxin is one of the few that is broken down by boiling. Did you know tht it is strongly inhibited by isomerized alpha acids, even in water? Since fresh wort has a healthy amount of oxygen in it, the beastie cannot even get started, then once the O2 is used up, it doesn't have a chance against the hops or the yeast.

All that is left are a handful of acid producing bacteria that'll ruin a batch of beer. Overall, there are less than 200 organisms that can survive in beer and lend flavor effects. None of these for very long, or very often. Lambic being the sole exception, and if pathogens *could* survive, that'd be the style where you find 'em.

It's important to remember that one of the reasons we have beer today (one of the oldest beverages in existence) is because it was made to be drunk in places where drinking the WATER was deadly....By boiling the wort, adding hops (which is an antiseptic), changing the ph, and pitching yeast, you killed of any microorganism that good be harmful.....in fact the third runnings of the brewing process was fermented at an extremely low gravit 1-2% ABV, and it was called "table beer" or "Kid's Beer" this is the stuff that people drank with meals...it was their water replacement, like Iced tea or soda pop...because again the fermentation process insured thatit was safer than the water.

remember - beer was "invented" BECAUSE it was safer to drink then water. It was "invented" back in the early Neolithic or 9000 BC by a guy named Bob (last name has been lost through the years),

The floaties are probably yeast. Your beer sounds fine. I agree with the above that your beer is most likely fine. As long as the fermentation went fine and those hops were put in, your beer is as it should be.

Nothing pathogenic can live in beer, including botchuism. So the only "poisoning" you can get is liver poising...but we're all in the same boat with that anyway, so you are in good company. :D

I came across this from a pretty well known and award winning homebrewer railing against a fellow brewer (it was on one of those "color coded" brewboards where they are a little less friendly than we are.) I just cut and pasted it and stuck it in a file...here it is.

It's important to remember that one of the reasons we have beer today (one of the oldest beverages in existence) is because it was made to be drunk in places where drinking the WATER was deadly....By boiling the wort, adding hops (which is an antiseptic), changing the ph, and pitching yeast, you killed of any microorganism that good be harmful.....in fact the third runnings of the brewing process was fermented at an extremely low gravit 1-2% ABV, and it was called "table beer" or "Kid's Beer" this is the stuff that people drank with meals...it was their water replacement, like Iced tea or soda pop...because again the fermentation process insured thatit was safer than the water.

And btw, it's BOTULISM.

"Botchuism" describes what was done to the intended word.

Well there is always George Washington's recipe;

To Make Small Beer (from George Washington, 1757)

Take a large Sifter full of Bran
Hops to your Taste -- Boil these
3 hours. Then strain out 30 Gall.
into a Cooler put in 3 Gallons
Molasses while the Beer is
scalding hot or rather drain the
molasses into the Cooler. Strain
the Beer on it while boiling hot
let this stand til it is little more
than Blood warm. Then put in
a quart of Yeast if the weather is
very cold cover it over with a Blanket.
Let it work in the Cooler 24 hours
then put it into the Cask. leave
the Bung open til it is almost done
working -- Bottle it that day Week
it was Brewed.

:D

I guess Zymurgy had a recipe recently.

Schoolhaus Tafelbier

Postby Dave M. on Tue May 05, 2009 1:33 pm
I saw this recipe in the May/June issue of Zymergy and am intrigued. I think it would be nice to have a flavorful beer on tap that is low alcohol. I may brew a batch of this up to tide me over until the other stuff I want to make is ready. Has anybody ever made something similar to this before? I would think with the Belgian yeast, it would have an interesting flavor profile, despite the small grain bill:

For 5.5 gallons:
3.75 lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
1.0 lb Caravienne Malt
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt
0.5 oz Saaz 3.2% (60 min) (I'll substitue Tettnanger)
1.0 tsp freshly cracked black pepper (5 min)
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Ale (I'll use White Labs Belgian Ale WLP550)

OG = 1.025
IBU = 7.2
SRM = 6.0

Recipe suggests to collect 1st gallon of runnings and boil to reduce by half to build caramels. One week primary, one week secondary, keg.

But normally the small or table beers were not recipe created, they were the third runnings of a Partigyle.

Back