High Temp, High Gravity Belgian Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathanchapman1

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently fermenting a 1.080 Belgian Dark using Wyyeast 3822-PC. Fermentation range is up to 80 degrees, and I have heard this guy can get stuck if you stay at the low end of the temps. For the first 5 days I was around 70 or so, I have now ramped up to 80. My question is if I need to keep the temp here until I reach FG? Bubbling is still happening, but not very often, SG is at 1.030 right now. Just keep it at 80 degrees until I get down to 1.010-1.020 or so?

I plan on aging for a couple of months, but not at 80 degrees!

for that yeast I would pitch at 65 and ramp up a degree every day until i hit 80 then hold it till you hit your terminal gravity. keep it at 80 until it stpps completely. after that you can age it at whatever you like. just try to keep you temp changes in small increments. i like to age cool-cold.

If you had it to do over again, you would probably be happier with starting in the mid 60s, then slowly ramping it up. But I will agree that you do not want to cool that beer now - keep it up here until it's done.

Incidentally, many Belgian yeasts take as long - or longer - to get the last few points of attenuation as they do to get the first 80%. Just be aware.

Thanks everyone...I double checked my temps last night, and I was actually up to 82. I lowered back down to 80 but seeing the responses this morning, now I'm not sure if I should ramp back up again? And what sort of off flavors could I see from that high fermentation temps, with the understanding that the first 5 days (when most off flavors are produced) were fermented low 70s?

Thanks everyone...I double checked my temps last night, and I was actually up to 82. I lowered back down to 80 but seeing the responses this morning, now I'm not sure if I should ramp back up again? And what sort of off flavors could I see from that high fermentation temps, with the understanding that the first 5 days (when most off flavors are produced) were fermented low 70s?

You will honestly likely have some off flavors from the bulk of the fermentation coming from the 70s. Lots of people want to act like Belgian yeasts do great at warm temperatures, but the fact is that, like most yeasts, they ferment cleaner at cooler temps. Warmer temps should be saved for the end of fermentation, when you are trying to get the last few points.

80? 82? Just leave it as is. You should be fine.

What kinds of flavors will you get from the temps you used? Lots of esters. Fruity/spicy/etc. That being said, it may be delicious.

Thanks; my biggest fear is fusels or solvency. I am A-OK with fruits and spice :)
I plan on aging for quite a while anyways, so I'm guessing most off flavors should age out?

Thanks; my biggest fear is fusels or solvency. I am A-OK with fruits and spice :)
I plan on aging for quite a while anyways, so I'm guessing most off flavors should age out?

You might have some fusels, but since you are planning to age anyway, you are probably fine. Yes, most of the bad stuff will probably age out.

So checked my gravity this weekend and it was at 1.024. This is the high end for the style. It tastes really good, though a tiny bit of alcohol burn (i'm guessing those are the fusels that will hopefully age out).
I have had it locked in at 80 degrees now for about 3 weeks.
I am thinking keep it at 80 for one more week, see if gravity changes at all. If it does, another week at 80. If it doesn't change, I'll turn the heater off and just age her for another month or 3 at room temp.
Does this sound reasonable or should I do something different? Transfer to secondary for my 3 month aging or leave in primary? Room temp or colder?

Thanks for everyones help so far!

Back