PSA: Don't put hot wort into a Better Bottle (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No, these aren't the 3 gallon version of Better Bottles. This is what happens when your hop sack develops a leak, dumps them into the boil pot, and your chiller gets clogged. Then, while common sense was taking a leak in the side lot, you just go ahead and pump into the fermentors.

Not mine (seriously). My friend's.

jons-melted-better-bottles-56250.jpg

Just more reasons I'm glad I don't use glass or plastic to ferment my beers [anymore]. I could put boiling hot wort into my fermenters without any issue at all. Well, other than they would be almost boiling hot at that point too. :eek:

That's why I love my IC. 55 degree tap water (in the summer) and 50ft of copper coil cools my wort down in no time at all.

What was the temp of the wort ?

Last winter I was brewing when my waterhose was frozen, so I couldn't cool the wort. I had only one option: put the wort in the fermenter. After that I put the fermenter outstide in the snow (it was -10 celcius that moment). Hadn't ahad any problems with the plastic.

What was the temp of the wort ?

Last winter I was brewing when my waterhose was frozen, so I couldn't cool the wort. I had only one option: put the wort in the fermenter. After that I put the fermenter outstide in the snow (it was -10 celcius that moment). Hadn't ahad any problems with the plastic.

Really, it wasn't me so I'm not sure. He says it happened within a few minutes of adding the hot wort. I'm guessing it was REALLY hot.

IF I recall properly, the maximum 'safe' temperature for Better Bottles is 140F. So, if he didn't chill at least to that level, you see the results... I believe that glass carboys can handle a little higher temp (maybe up to 160F if I recall properly) but it's not a good idea either. IMO, it's never a good idea to send wort, that's more than warm, into a plastic, or glass, fermenter. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that. Besides what I ferment in, I have a solid plate chiller on the job.

I've been using a hop spider of my own design/build which I inspect the nylon bag before each batch. I'm probably going to get one of the stainless spiders before my next batch too. Then I'll never need to worry about any bag breakage happening.

Back