DIY Immersion Chiller Build - With Pump (Step by step with Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlmustang

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers!

I did a mega brew day yesterday. I combined brewing and building all in one day. In the time it took for me to mash, I was able to build an awesome new addition to my ever expanding homebrew operation. I am a CPA, so naturally I am in tune with not only brewing beer as my hobby, but how can I also cut costs per batch? Obviously grains, hops and yeast are the biggest variable costs, but I was struggling with ice baths. I hated spending $8-10 a batch on 40 pounds of ice. I tried cooling my kettle down by itself and splitting the batch into two smaller stock pots to decrease the volume being cooled, but neither used less ice. Money just melting away.

I knew about immersion chillers (AKA Wort chillers), but I brew in my kitchen and my sink doesn't have a traditional hose connection (fancy faucets!) and the thought of running water for 45-60 minutes through the chiller down the drain seemed like a huge waste of water. I don't pay for my water here as it is included in my HOA, but I don't want to be wasteful.

But what if I could combine an ice bath and immersion chilling using a pump and recycling the water through the system? Well...that's what I set out to accomplish. Here's how:

Items required:

1). 20' of 3/8 OD copper tubing (My HD only had 20' or 50') - $28
2). 10' of clear vinyl tubing 1/2" ID or any length to fit your needs - $4.50
3). 1 290 GPH Pond Pump (You could get away with 140 GPH) - $39
4). 3 Hose clamps - $3
5). 1 Cylindrical object such as a corny keg or small stockpot as long as it fits into your kettle

Total cost: $74.50

img_2611-67703.jpg

Step 1: Take your coil of copper tubing and work out the end. Lay your keg or cylinder on it's side and start working the coil around the object.

img_2613-67705.jpg

Step 2: Once you have wound up the entire spool around your cylindrical object, remove the object from the center and stand the spool up and go ahead and work the coils out to your desired distance between coils. You will want a little room between coils as you don't want them touching. If you allow them to touch you are reducing surface area of wort they touch and you'll have a harder time trying to cool the coils if they are working off each others heat.

img_2615-67707.jpg

img_2616-67708.jpg

Step 3: Be very careful here! Some immersion chillers have their in/out imputs at 90 degree angles at the top of the coil, which makes it look a bit more professional, but I am going for function over form and I have $28 invested in a copper tube and I am not risking a kink. I chose to not test angles and worked the copper into form without rigid angles. I started at the top coil and worked it out straight and then formed it up and out. Then, I straightened out the bottom coil to however much I thought I'd need to come up the coil and out parallel to the top in spout. It wasn't hard to work with the copper, but just take your time and don't be a hero trying to make beautiful angles, unless you invest a pipe bending wrench.

img_2617-67709.jpg

img_2618-67710.jpg

Step 4: Take one of your metal non-corrosive hose clamps and clamp the in/out tubes together.

img_2619-67711.jpg

Step 5: Take your 10' of clear vinyl tubing and a box cutter and cut it half such that you end up with 2 5' tubes. Work one end the tubing over the copper inlet and outlet about 2-3" and clamp down with remaining hose clamps. I did not get a picture of that, but I think it's pretty self explanatory.

Step 6: The coil is built!!! Looks great right? Well, let's make it even cooler (pun intended if you use a cooler as a water source :rockin:). Let's attach that pump and put some water through it to test for leaks. Go to your kitchen sink or cooler (yep, you can even just add water to a cooler for the water source). Set the pump down in the sink/cooler and fill the water until the pump is completed covered with water, plus 3 or so inches. Connect the inlet hose (top coil) to the pump, my pump had several hose attachment options, just make sure you buy a pump that will fit the 1/2 ID hose. Set the connected pump back down in the water and throw your out hose down in the water. Plug in the pump and behold your new cooling system. You should see water flowing through the system, lift the out hose out of the water and check the outflow. Check the hose clamps at the inlets for leaks. Tighten up if necessary. That's about it!

img_2621-67712.jpg

img_2624-67714.jpg

Now...I know what you are thinking. "Yeah, great...but you still need ice cold water for best results". Indeed, you are correct. Still have the ice problem. Well, I bought a case of water for $3 and froze them all (Me and my wife don't buy frozen food and the only things we have in our freezer is a couple bottles of liquor and beer glasses). I rationed them out over the cooling process in the water and at the end when got it down to 80 degrees and needed that extra 5-7 degrees, I used the ice in my fridge (free) and nailed it. Refroze the bottle once done for next time (resusable). For the first half of the cooling process, I let the out hose go down the drain and just left the faucet running in the water sink to keep water levels up and hot water out of the cool water bath. So, still a little wasteful, but once the out water cooled down, I threw it back in the water vat and turned off the water and the same water cycled through. Here's what the system looks like in the actual brew process:

img_2629-67715.jpg

It didn't really save me any time on the cooling process. It took about an hour because the water bottles actually melted a lot faster than I would have imagined. But they were not completely frozen as I rushed them a bit. If anyone has an ideas on that I would be more than receptive. Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience and maybe I can inspire someone to change up their process a bit to fit their needs. Brew on! :tank:

Your setup is similar to mine.

I used a $18 harbor freight fountain pump. I still use 40lbs of ice ($10 at the nearest gas station).

I have the Brewers Best chiller which is 25'. I think 20' might be a bit short in your case.

It takes me 25min to bring a 3 gal boil down to 70F. That's a far cry better than the 2 hours it took me to chill my first brew with an ice bath.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477922197.804314.jpg

Are you stirring or moving the IC around while chilling? If not, you're spending FAR more time chilling than you need to.

If you just let the chiller sit, it cools only the water next to the coils, at which point it's not doing much for the entire pot. I have a Silver Serpent chiller from NB that I use--I run it off water from my outside faucet. I swish it back and forth in the kettle while chilling and it's amazing how much the "out" water temp changes as I compare swishing with just leaving it in place.

There's no way it should take an hour if you're using chilled water to begin with. That's no better than sitting the kettle in the sink and surrounding it with ice.

Yeah, I didn't stir it very much. I was trying to help my wife with a few things around the house while it was chilling, so I only stirred it once towards the end. I knew I should have attended to it better. I'll stir more next time and compare times.

I have the exact same setup with frozen water bottles and pond pump included. I have a small recirc pump on my kettle that whirlpools my wort while chilling though, and it cuts my cooling time in half.

Something else that actually improves efficiency drastically, just let the water run down the drain for the first 10 minutes or so. You will cool the water from boiling down to ~100-120, THEN switch the ice bath recirc. You don't waste that much water, and you vastly reduce your ice usage.

For the record I hate chilling, it's my least favorite part of my brew day so I want to switch to a counterflow 1 step system.

Thanks, madking. How does the recirc pump work? I'd love to add that so that I don't have to manually stir like in my case above when SWMBO needs me to step away for a few minutes.

One other thing I'd do: I wouldn't use water bottles. Since you're refreezing anyway, I'd want cubes or chunks of ice. Once the bottles melt a little, you have the same issue of water surrounding the ice but being isolated from the water you're using to cool your chiller.

If it were me, i'd probably use two ice-cream buckets and freeze water in them. I'd pop the ice out, use an ice pick to break them up, then add water. You'll get far better thermal efficiency this way.

At the end, just fill them back up with the chilled water (whatever's left) and refreeze.

Thanks, madking. How does the recirc pump work? I'd love to add that so that I don't have to manually stir like in my case above when SWMBO needs me to step away for a few minutes.

I have a ball valve in the side of my kettle, and a set of Camlock fittings.
I bought a cheap $15 Made in China food grade pump and it draws wort out of the ball valve and sends it through a tube back up to the lid. There is a hose coming out of the bottom of the lid at a 90 degree angle so that it swirls the wort.
I'll post a picture of the whole setup when I get home from work if I remember.
Here's a picture of my kettle with the ball valve for now.
'View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477924194.528614.jpg

One other thing I'd do: I wouldn't use water bottles. Since you're refreezing anyway, I'd want cubes or chunks of ice. Once the bottles melt a little, you have the same issue of water surrounding the ice but being isolated from the water you're using to cool your chiller.

If it were me, i'd probably use two ice-cream buckets and freeze water in them. I'd pop the ice out, use an ice pick to break them up, then add water. You'll get far better thermal efficiency this way.

At the end, just fill them back up with the chilled water (whatever's left) and refreeze.

Great idea! I was disappointed in the water bottles and you are right, once they melted a little it didn't take long for them to turn completely melted.

Love the idea of the ice cream containers.

Thanks, Madking. I need to work on my kettle a little bit. I want to get a valve installed, but it was an expensive kettle as it's made of surgical grade stainless steel and I am leery on poking holes in it.

Thanks, Madking. I need to work on my kettle a little bit. I want to get a valve installed, but it was an expensive kettle as it's made of surgical grade stainless steel and I am leery on poking holes in it.

totally understandable. I had the same trepidations, but after a few youtube tutorials I was more comfortable with it. It only took me a couple tries to get my valve to stop leaking, and I haven't had any problems since. Just make sure your O-Rings and gaskets are on the INSIDE of the pot, that was my "special" moment. :p

This is pretty much what I use. Although for the ice I go buy a large bag, 22 lbs I think, and freeze water bottles. Then I hit the bottles with a hammer to break up and cut the bottle off. That all goes into a big cooler with water. Then once the temps get down around 100 I start to recirculate back into the cooler. Then I just fill empty water bottles and put into the freezer as I get them for the next brew day.

Something else that actually improves efficiency drastically, just let the water run down the drain for the first 10 minutes or so. You will cool the water from boiling down to ~100-120, THEN switch the ice bath recirc. You don't waste that much water, and you vastly reduce your ice usage.

Even better, save this initial hot water for cleanup!

Back