nylon boiling bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbob

Reaction score
When I did my second batch I used a nylon boiling bag for my specialty grains. I put the muslin bag that came in the kit into the sanitizer and stretched it over my 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket. I then used a bunji cord around the bucket to hold it in place. I then poured the wort through the bag to strain all the particles out of the wort. It worked very well. My questions are should a person strain all of the stuff out of it like I did or should you just let it settle out in the fermenter. Also, would it be alright to clean the nylon boiling bag in the dishwasher, or maybe even in the laundry, if it is sanitized before using again. Thanks in advance

It's a matter of personal choice whether to strain like you did, or dump all in...I do what you do.

You can wash the nylon ones in the dishwasher, clotheswasher or by hand, as long as you make sure you get all the little grain particles out (they like to stick to that seam on the inside and won't usually come loose even being agitated in a washer (I know from experience)

Be sure to sanitize when you are about to use it again.

when I do strain like that I have a 5 gallon bucket paint strainer. to rinse just turn it inside out and run it under the faucet. spread it out to dry so it wont mildew, not a flavor I want in my beer. I replace my steeping bag after every 5-8 batches so the nylon isn't weakened by the heat and split open at the worst time.

Back