fruity beer, again and aggggaaaaiinnnn gah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spm1327

Reaction score
hi there, im new on here, and i don't have a shift button at work - the bar

i almost made orval trappist a few times - my favorite beer by far - by almost i mean i made it and it came really close.

my recipe;
8lb belgian pils
2lb caravienne 20l
saaz 60min
styrian 20min
strisselspalt 5min
dry hop strissel

anyhow - since i almost made correctly a few times it has turned out too fruity and it's the winter. is this as simple as my room being too fn hot question mark in the winter question mark
thanks exclamation point
sean

anyhow - since i almost made correctly a few times it has turned out too fruity and it's the winter. is this as simple as my room being too fn hot question mark in the winter question mark
thanks exclamation point
sean

Get the latest BYO magazine there is a great article on brewing Belgian Golden Strongs. Lots of great hints and tips that will help you. It was, iirc written by Jamil Z. Great info.

Thanks guys,
-I've been fermenting at about 73 degrees in my room - I wish it was 65 but my roommates have to keep the house so f'n hot.
I'm using W-Yeast's new "Trappist Blend" which is supposed to be Orval yeast, a mix of Saccaromyces and Brettanomyces. I didn't even notice a slight brett character at all after 2-1/2 weeks. Just fruit, again and again.
I just dry hopped it with 1.3 oz 1.9%fr.strisselspalt and added some Brettanomyces Lambicus. Can dry hopping help mask some of that fruit? It's not quite juicy fruit, more slight banana, more similar to Leffe Blonde fruit.

PS - how do I add what I'm brewing on here automatically?

My first guess? You have not given this beer nearly enough time to judge where it's going.

I've been doing a lot of research on working with wild yeast strains, and everything I've read points to needing a LOT of time for the Brett. (or other wild strains) to work up sufficient funk/sourness.

Heck, even the other Belgian ales I've brewed I've given them 4 weeks or more in the fermentation cycle before I bottle and that's without using any wild yeast.

I would guess that if this beer is less than 8 weeks old at this point you're still only tasting the primary Belgian strain and none of the wild yeast.

Also, 73 degrees is not overly warm (are you sure it didn't spike into the 80s during it's peak? A few brews I've done have jumped a bit once they get going) - at least not warm enough to throw off the banana bread phenomena.

I would say, give it more time. Another 4 weeks at least (as I've not worked with Brett. I can't say for sure how long) and then bottle. Then... let it hang out for another month :)

Belgian yeast strains are strange creatures, they're like changelings. All the Belgians I've brewed so far have only gotten better over time. Sometimes they are very "ugly" when they're still green.

- nice thank you - I have a fruity one that I bottled a few bottles recently, no good on tap, maybe will be yummy out of the bottle!

Latest posts

Back