Hydro VS Refractometer Discrepancy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All

Just got a refractometer... and calibrated with 60F water... and was spot on the 0
Took a sample from a carboy with a calibrated hydro.

The Hydro Reading: 1.007
The Brix Reading: 5.7

This means one or the other is off. If the Hydro is right, the brix should be 1.7
If the Brix is right the hydro should be 1.022 I am leaning towards the hydro being right as it has seemed to be on with other batches. And the sample is from Graff (which has usually hit 1.007ish)

Can anyone help me with advice?

Keep in mind that refractometers are for unfermented wort/must. Once alcohol is in the liquid, it changes the density so that refractometers are not accurate. There are correction tools (Beersmith has one in it) but I always use the hydrometer for fermented liquids, the refractometer for unfermented wort and must.

I found the tool (I think) but how do I use it?

I have a fermented (to completion) Graff. The OG was 1.062 and the FG was 1.007. The Refractometer read 5.7.

What do I do?

Thanks!

wow, this just happened to me 5 minutes ago...i was all mad at my refractometer...POS:), hydrometer read 1.008 and the Brix came in at 5.5. Guess i'll stick to the hydrometer from now on. btw 1st beer tasted okay after only 7 days:ban:

Still, I would like to use the refractometer correctly. I am just not understanding what I need to enter if I have my hydro original grav and a hydro reading & refract. reading right now.

i just punched it into beersmith and it gave me a corrected value of 1.016, which isn't right. I'll try it again tommorrow night and try to get better readings, i'll chalk it up to user error tonite, but i'm not sure if i trust that correction by beersmith.

under the tools section select refractometer tool
in the calculations box select fermented wort
enter your brix reading being as accurate as possible plz since 1pt brix=@4pts sg
enter your OG

that is all

Back