PBW Residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauldice

Reaction score
Last night I used a bath of Five Star PBW to remove bottle labels and clean some older bottles. After being immersed in the bath for around 30-40 min, the labels came right off with no trouble whatsoever. I removed them from the solution, and rinsed them with tap water after scrubbing off the last remnants of glue from the labels, then set them aside to dry.

Upon drying I noticed that the bottles were a bit "sticky." I put sticky in quotes here because its not like a gooey type sticky. Its just that the glass seems to have more friction than it should. This to me indicates that the PBW has left some sort of a residue on the bottle.

Originally I thought that perhaps it was just some of the left over glue from the labels, but then I noticed that the same thing was on the bottles that never had labels to begin with.

So my question is: Is this normal?, can I go ahead and bottle with this residue without worrying about any side effects on my beer? (of course I would sanitize first)

PBW requires quite a bit of rinsing to get it all off. I would definitely try to rinse the residue off before bottling. We use oxiclean instead of PBW for our bottles and it takes the labels off fast! It too requires a careful rinse though.

bottles do that when very clean do it after the dishwasher and no soap

Also make sure you are rinsing with HOT water. PBW and Oxiclean have a tendency to leave behind a film if you rinse with cold water.

I heard a brewing network podcast mention PBW cleaning the other day and they mentioned rinsing "until the surface is no longer slippery.. and then rinse some more".

Latest posts

Back