Anyone ever cut the hump on their chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajwillys

Reaction score
I got a chest freezer that has a huge compressor hump but the actual compressor itself takes up less than half the space under there. It's open on the back and side so I think it would be easy to cut out a section to add one more keg. What do you guys think? My two biggest concerns would be hitting a coolant line and re-insulating the giant hole that would result.

BTW, I already know I could build a giant collar and put them on top of the hump but I am trying to avoid that route because I want to build a cheaper version of what Jester and Brewpastor have.

Thanks!

Were you thinking you would pull the compressor back, outside of the unit? You would have too. If there is enough slack in both the cooling and heating coils to move the compressor outside, then you could do what you propose. You'd want to seal it up with no air leaks. Of course then you have an ugly compressor outside the unit to deal with. I know, I've got one of my own right now next to my fermentation chiller - I totally disassembled a minifridge and installed it in my chamber.

Well, I was thinking of leaving the compressor there. Literally 2/3 of the area under the hump has nothing in it. I realized there might be issues with airflow but I was definitely going to take that into consideration... Anyway, it doesn't matter because I think I'm just going to sell this one and buy another one that fits my stuff better.

Thanks anyway

Back