ProbeThermometer Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
So I have two probe thermometers, a 2 and 6 inch. The tww monitors my boil and the six I useto monitor my mash. Just noticed the two inch was two or three degrees cooler than the six at ambient so I decided to calibrate them for the first time. Problem is they're reading a few degrees warmer than 32 in ice water and a few degrees cooler than 212 in boiling water. Think it's because I'm just sticking the probe in the water rather than screwing it into a fitting on a pot? I'm wondering if some heat from the dial end is keeping the steel probe from cooling or heating completely. I'd rather not calibrate them by boiling or icing 3 gallons of water in my brewpot... Not to mention the six inch would be useless as I use it to probe my mash by hand.

Only other thing I can think of is the paper insert on the dial is scaled wrong. I bought both from the same place. Homebrewing.org

Latest posts

Back