When to plant rhizomes in MA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaz4121

Reaction score
Just got my rhizomes in today. I'm wondering if anyone has already planted in MA or if I should wait a few more weeks?

Can you dig a hole? -> yes -> plant
|
V
No
|
V
Don't

I understand it's been a bit warm this year, so the sooner the better.

agree with david42. if you can put them in do so - just make sure you make a nice hole.

Favorite gardening adage: $5 pant, $50 hole.

give those rhizomes the proper soil type, drainage, and food they need.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just afraid with the temperature flux lately had a week of 70 degree weather followed by near freezing weather, that it might be premature but I trust your judgement over my inexperience.

I took precaution in the fall to turn my soil with manure and top soil. I am wondering if letting it sit for the fall, winter, and now early spring will provide enough nutrients to get them started, OR if i should apply more manure or a 10-10-10 fertilizer when planting?

Would you recommend manure over the 10-10-10?

Thanks for the help

I'd go ahead and plant, and I wouldn't add any manure that hasn't calmed down yet to avoid potential burning. The prep you did last fall should be just right now.

fwiw, I have 15 second year crowns sprouting shoots like porcupines, and the Fuggles are two feet tall already. Insane.

But if I lived in northern New Jersey, they'd be closer to 5 feet by now. They've been mowing their lawns for a few weeks, while mine is still vestigial at best...

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. I was just afraid with the temperature flux lately had a week of 70 degree weather followed by near freezing weather, that it might be premature but I trust your judgement over my inexperience.

I took precaution in the fall to turn my soil with manure and top soil. I am wondering if letting it sit for the fall, winter, and now early spring will provide enough nutrients to get them started, OR if i should apply more manure or a 10-10-10 fertilizer when planting?

Would you recommend manure over the 10-10-10?

Thanks for the help

You can plant as soon as the ground thaws. I am continually surprised by how many people think hops are some tender, tropical plant. Go easy on the fertilizer and apply that 10-10-10 at perhaps half the recommended rate. Even better get one with a high middle number to get them established.

I'll be putting my first year Cascade and Perle hops in the ground this weekend. Getting excited to be growing my own hops. Weather should be good from here on out and frost season should be gone, hopefully!

I'll be putting my first year Cascade and Perle hops in the ground this weekend. Getting excited to be growing my own hops. Weather should be good from here on out and frost season should be gone, hopefully!

Traditionally, the passing of Memorial Day signified the end of frost season. This year, all bets are off...on pretty much everything. My 2nd year crowns took off crazy early only to be slowed for a week or so by the seasonably cool weather. Now we're back on the warm side they're in gear again. I'm going to have to deploy the Coir drops in the next day or so lest the tangling begin...

Cheers!

Back