Recommendations on First Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraypd

Reaction score
I am planning on trying my first lager brew in October and was looking for suggestions. I am a fan of German styles so I am trying to decide between the following:

Munich Helles
Schwarzbier
Munich Dunkel
Maibock
Octoberfest

I've got good fermentation temp control and will lager in either my fermentation temp chamber or kegerator (possibly shifting from one to the other depending on what else is going on.) If the recommended lagering times differ at all that would be a help as I would like something that is relatively fast. I am very impatient and would like to get some feedback from my first lager as soon as is reasonable.

Are there any factors that would lead me to chose one style or another for my first attempt?

Paul

I like Classic American Pilsners but then again I like the challenge of doing a cereal mash and a CAP is good stuff.

I did an oktoberfest back in march, just kegged it last week. Its going to be sooooo good! As long a you have your temp control set it will turn ot great. This was the first lager I did in its own fermenting chamber, with a love controller. Using this, lagers are easier to ferment than ales. Think I'm on deck for another lager now.

Back