Weizen Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I am going to brew a hefeweizen for a party on the 4th. I have brewed a few hefes in the last year and the beers are good but I am still in search of that perfect hefeweizen.

Grain
6lb Pilsner Malt
6lb German Wheat Malt
Hops:
13 IBUs from Hallertauer at 60min

Things that I am debating are process and yeast. I tihnk I am going to do a single infusion at 152F with a decocotion to mash out.

Have not decided on the yeast.

Options:
WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.

WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
Large clove and phenolic aroma and flavor, with minimal banana. Refreshing citrus and apricot notes. Crisp, drinkable hefeweizen. Less flocculent than WLP300, and sulfur production is higher.

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068
Classic German wheat beer yeast, used by more German brewers than any other strain. Dominated by banana ester production, phenols and clove-like characteristics. Extremely attenuative yeast, which produces a tart, refreshing finish. Yeast remains in suspension readily with proteinacous wheat malt.

So I know this topic gets discussed all the time, but I am posting yet another thread to ask if anyone has ever compared any of these yeasts side-by-side. I have used the wlp300 and was not too impressed, this is supposedly the same strain as 3068.

Any advice? Which yeast have you had the best results with?

I've got a vial of the 300 in my fridge right now, never used it, but I hear it produces plenty of banana esters. I'll still probably ferment it relatively cool to keep those low, though. Outside of that, I've had very good results with the Wyeast Weihenstephaner (3068). It's more restrained on the esters, which I like.

VERY VERY good call on the mash-out decoc. I've taken to doing all my hefe's like that, and it gives the beer such a great malt backbone, I just can't believe more people don't do it.

So to add to my ramblings above...

I listened to the Jamil show on Bavarian Weissbier and he speaks of this '30C rule', the pitching temp + the fermentation temp should equal 30 degrees C. I am debating doing this. It would mean pitching at 55-56F and fermenting at 62F. Has anyone had any experimenting with this?

I am also debating doing a ferulic acid rest at 111F, but not having a direct fire mash tun this is a pain.

i just fermented a hefe starting at 61 (finished up at 64-66) and it came out fantastic. my last one had a slight hot alcohol taste, but this one is smooth as can be. great clove and banana flavors. i may step up tghe temp a bit quicker next time because my wife likes a bit more banana, but i'll definitely start cool from now on.

I have only tried the WLP 380. It was ok. Most people say use the 300. That is going to be my next choice. - Dirk

I've used both 300 and 380 with kits.
IMHO 380 is spicier, like Weihenstephaner,
and 300 is bananaier like Paulaner.
I'm about to tap an AG keg made with 300.
It tasted more like Paulaner when I racked it,
so I'm highly optimistic.

If you drink the WLP 300 batch too early it'll still have a heavy flavor of bubble gum. ;)

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

One of the best beers I have was a Ayinger Brau-Weisse from a keg that had a distinct bubble gum flavor. I assume that this was very fresh, I would love to re-create that beer.

I've used the WL German Hef IV yeast AND WL witbeir yeast in the same batch, fermented at 63deg F, and it ruled! No Belgian adjucts, just wheat extract and Fuggle hops.

I was very happy with the 300, it did give good banana without a large amount of clove. I'm curious about trying the 380 for my next batch of Hefe though. My fermentation was between 68-72F.

I have a quart starter of WLP300 going in my kitchen right now. Can't wait until the hefe I'm making Saturday is ready to drink.

Ive used the WLP380 and the wyeast, they are both good but I like the WLP380 I fermented it around 60-65f and it gives a very nice apricot/banana flavor nicely balanced with a little clove like phenols, bottom line everyone that tried the beer loved it. so Id recommend the WLP380.

Back