Alabama Homebrewing still Illegal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every homebrewer in AL should take there yeast slug filled carboys and set them on the capital steps. Not sure if thats a good idea but its kinda how i feel.

This is gold.

I'll agree I'm showing northern stupidity, if you agree you're showing the southern form. At least northern stupidity requires a college degree.

I have one too, I'm almost finished getting my masters. What's your point?

I'm done arguing. This should be about those specific politicians and their misinformed views, not south vs north.

I wonder if they're George Jones fans?

Well the "G" men, "T" men, revenuers, too
Searchin' for the place where he made his brew
They were looking, tryin to book him,
but my pappy kept a-cookin'
Whshhhoooh . . . white lightnin'

I honestly thought Federal Law protected your right to home brew. Apparently I was wrong... I know my neighbor came over one time and told me he was going to call the cops if I kept "brewing that 'shine". I told him to go ahead. The cops never came lol.

Apparently it is left up to the states and Alabama is the only one that prohibits it. Wikipedia claims there are several homebrew stores in the state tho so apparently it is not enforced?

Apparently it is left up to the states and Alabama is the only one that prohibits it. Wikipedia claims there are several homebrew stores in the state tho so apparently it is not enforced?

They can sell the equipment all they want. That's not illegal. Just using it is.

We had that problem in MA years back... Radar detectors were legal to own and have in the vehicle, but not to use. Stupid.

It's illegal in Mississippi too!!!

Wine, Mead and Cider are legal here, but not Beer! Go Figure!

Look at one of the historical concerns of moonshine; blindness from additives to increase the alcohol content. These additives like methanol and lye are nasty stuff...adding them into something you drink doesn't equate being terribly bright.

And those additives were added by the government to the ingredients that moonshiners used in an effort to make moonshine toxic. The nearest guess is this killed or caused permanent debilitating conditions in nearly ten thousand people during and after prohibition.

Thats like fireworks. In Ohio they have the stores everywhere and a lot of them are on the PA border but you can't fire them off in either state. Its hardly enforced.

I love the response to the question of who the Free the Hops Foundation is, Germany!

Sorry all you from Alabama, we have our own issues in Wisconsin but nothing on the level of this.

Alabama and Mississippi are embarrassments to this great nation of ours. Those so-called representatives, who wouldn't be able to get a job flipping burgers at Checkers in most of the rest of the nation, were put in power by the electorate. 'Nuff said.

So you can make cider but not beer in Alabama? At what percentage of fermentables does cider become beer? Can they put one apple in the mash and call it cider?

Alabama and Mississippi are embarrassments to this great nation of ours. Those so-called representatives, who wouldn't be able to get a job flipping burgers at Checkers in most of the rest of the nation, were put in power by the electorate. 'Nuff said.

I've got to say, you are way out of line. I am a highly educated and proud Alabamian. Yes we have our political issues but where do you get off saying we are embarrassments to this nation? We're not all uneducated hillbillies living in trailers on dirt roads, in fact most of us aren't.

That being said, yes these fools have been voted into office and that I am not proud of. As a Democrat living in the south I understand the plight of the rebellion.:tank: But maybe one of these years a decent homebrew bill will get through the legislature.

I've got to say, you are way out of line. I am a highly educated and proud Alabamian. Yes we have our political issues but where do you get off saying we are embarrassments to this nation? We're not all uneducated hillbillies living in trailers on dirt roads, in fact most of us aren't.

That being said, yes these fools have been voted into office and that I am not proud of. As a Democrat living in the south I understand the plight of the rebellion.:tank: But maybe one of these years a decent homebrew bill will get through the legislature.

Let's see...

That Holmes dude

Only states where homebrewing is illegal

Holmes

Alabama's high school graduation rate is the second lowest in the United States after Mississippi

Holmes

First cousin marriages are allowed, while domestic partnerships are not

Holmes

GDP per capita rank - Alabama: 46, Mississippi: 51

Holmes

Only five breweries exist in Alabama, just one in all of Mississippi

Holmes

Top 10 in poverty level

Holmes

Bottom 5 in % with college degree

Holmes

Top 5 in lynchings per capita

It is truly horrible down here. Just an FYI, MS didn't ratify the 13th amendment (abolishing slavery) till 1995. I have a feeling it will be a while before they get to the beer deal. It's all old money and people voting straight party lines and not even knowing who they're voting for. Raiseyourpints.com and the Free the Hops will need all the help they can get. I think the best thing we can do is to put together information and statistics that will show these idiots that these bills are a good thing. If all else fails, do like a previous member mentioned and rename the bill "I'm good, vote yes."

My wife is telling me Guam and American Samoa's. What else maybe there are 57? I don't think they will ever add another official state. It may seem like a joke but seriously I don't think they have any plans of changing the flag.

Beezy said:
My wife is telling me Guam and American Samoa's. What else maybe there are 57? I don't think they will ever add another official state. It may seem like a joke but seriously I don't think they have any plans of changing the flag.

why would they they dont have to pay state taxes.

The Virgin and Mariana islands.

how can you ban mead, when you dont even know what it is. scumbags.
alabama is dumb.

and their accents are dumber.

maybe we should start a facebook thing(i dont have one, but i'll make one) and get a couple hundred thousand homebrewers to unite into one voice, and scream at these idiots.
remember election day is coming.

Right, but you (and most of the people here) don't ge to vote for them. And the people who do live there and do get to vote for them probably agree with them. It is Democracy: the right to limit your rights as long as the majority agrees.

My favorite part was how easy it will be for minors to get beer if homebrewing is legal. "They just have to find someone to make it for them" - it's like they think brewing is baking cookies. Sorry sir, but I don't think any high schooler is going to go through the trouble of getting somebody to make them beer and wait a month when they can just give the hobo outside the liquor store a $20 and walk away with a case of natty.

how can you ban mead, when you dont even know what it is. scumbags.
alabama is dumb.

and their accents are dumber.

maybe we should start a facebook thing(i dont have one, but i'll make one) and get a couple hundred thousand homebrewers to unite into one voice, and scream at these idiots.

Not using capital letters or proper grammar is dumb.

My favorite part was how easy it will be for minors to get beer if homebrewing is legal. "They just have to find someone to make it for them" - it's like they think brewing is baking cookies. Sorry sir, but I don't think any high schooler is going to go through the trouble of getting somebody to make them beer and wait a month when they can just give the hobo outside the liquor store a $20 and walk away with a case of natty.

Do you mind boiling some wort, fermenting and bottling some beer for me. I'll pay you $20. Oh and who in the hell keeps 100 gallons of beer on tap at a time. If you know this person let me know because there's a party that needs to be thrown.

Right, but you (and most of the people here) don't ge to vote for them. And the people who do live there and do get to vote for them probably agree with them. It is Democracy: the right to limit your rights as long as the majority agrees.

+1. The people of the state have spoken. Personally, I enjoy the freedom to not have other states telling my state what's good for us.

If you want to change your laws, get the word out. Inform people. Educate them.

I stand behind the Homebrewers in Alabama. Unless you are going to make it a completely dry state, allowing homebrewing only makes sense. (And FYI - Dry counties would still be able to enforce their dry polices, since county laws override the state laws.)

But the people who want homebrewing are not the people who voted the current lawmakers into power. And they are not likely to vote those people into power anytime soon. Homebrewing is such a small thing compared to real issues, honestly.

The best thing is to get people to understand how Homebrewing is a safe, and worthwhile hobby.

Homebrewing is such a small thing compared to real issues, honestly.

OTOH, somebody who would make comments as stupid as the lawmakers in that video, I wouldn't really trust them to tackle the "real issues" either!

"What's to stop people from making moonshine?"

The same thing there is now: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, other than the fact that it's illegal. That's such a stupid question. It would be like if there was a bill to reduce restrictions on growing corn, and some idiot says, "If we let people grow corn, what's to stop them from growing marijuana?"

As far as the North/South thing: Those in the North, like myself, ought to watch themselves a bit, there are plenty of intelligent people down south, and it's unfair to stereotype them all as a bunch of ignorant Bible-thumpin' inbred hillbillies. Those in the South, you also need to recognize there are significant social and cultural problems that go beyond what exists in other parts of the country, and furthermore that there are far too many ignorant Bible-thumpin' inbred hillbillies around those parts.

As far as the North/South thing: Those in the North, like myself, ought to watch themselves a bit, there are plenty of intelligent people down south, and it's unfair to stereotype them all as a bunch of ignorant Bible-thumpin' inbred hillbillies. Those in the South, you also need to recognize there are significant social and cultural problems that go beyond what exists in other parts of the country, and furthermore that there are far too many ignorant Bible-thumpin' inbred hillbillies around those parts.

And there are plenty of people in northern states that would like to see homebrewing banned (no reference, just assuming) as well as block other issues that increase access to beer. Just because homebrewing is legal where you live now, does not mean it will always be in the future.

Beerrific said:
And there are plenty of people in northern states that would like to see homebrewing banned (no reference, just assuming) as well as block other issues that increase access to beer. Just because homebrewing is legal where you live now, does not mean it will always be in the future.

You're going to give us nightmares, stop it, stop it now!

Back