Specialty ingredients (pine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOMEBREWZ

Reaction score
Hey i was just thinking of a new brew and was wondering if it was possible or safe to use any ol pine tree branches/needles , i have alot of pine trees around my place but im not sure if they are the right type , i know they arent spruce, Also would you add them the same way as hops, thanks:mug:

There was an epiosode of brewing tv where they made sahti using juniper bushe branches. They took the branches and the needles and lined the mash tun with them. It was very interesting. You could try it that way.

You can boil pretty much any pine type needles safely.( high in vitamin c oddly) NOt sure on how the flavor would be in a beer.

I've made sahti with local wild juniper branches and berries. I collected roughly "a backpack full" (that's a standard unit, right? :D) and it turned out amazing.

By tradition I boiled my brewing liquor with the branches, lautered my mash through more branches, added the berries at the end of the boil.

thanks for the input,ive been trying to find spruce tips but no place sells them i might try and see if any grow near by

thanks for the input,ive been trying to find spruce tips but no place sells them i might try and see if any grow near by

Did a bit of research... looks like there is a slight chance black spruce may grow in MD, but you'd have your best luck in up-state New York.

Back