my first fresh hop beer, success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i harvested 18 oz of cascade from my second year plant on 9/12. i would say the plant probably produced atleast 3 times as much, but i tried to use only the biggest, fullest and most aromatic ones. i really had no idea where to start as far as the aau, so for this recipe i just put them at 1. i got at close as i could to the 5 to 1 fresh vs dry ratio that i could, heres the recipe i used.

fresh hop pale ale
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: kevin
Date: 9/13/10

Size: 6.5 gal
Efficiency: 89.0%
Attenuation: 76.5%
Calories: 200.8 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.060 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 10.99 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 6.06% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 43.3 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
9.5 lb Golden Promise Malt
1.5 lb American Munich
1 lb White Wheat Malt
.5 lb Caramel Malt 60L
.75 oz Columbus (12.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
4.5 oz Cascade (1%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
4.5 oz Cascade (1%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
4.5 oz Cascade (1%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
4.5 oz Cascade (1%) - steeped after boil
s-04

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.12

as far as the ibu's go, i would say its pretty close to that 43. it has terrific flavor and aroma... very strong grapefruit but also very floral and fresh with a nice malty backbone. i picked these from my plants up in NJ and used them 24 hrs later at my new place in MD. this was my first batch down here and i really was at the mercy of the weather for fermentation, so this batch went in the low 70's.. but the fruitiness from fermentation goes great with the hop flavors. i turned this one around very quick so i could taste the hops as much as i could and it tastes great. i'm very pleased with this beer for my first try and cant wait till next year, hopefully an IPA.

OoOOoOOOO Nice sounds good I am jealous. My first year cascade produced 4 OZ and my chinook only 1 oz... So I dried em and froze them last month. I am making 3 different beers with them this month to see if I like homegrown better than store bought :)
Maybe next year I will have enough for a fresh hopped one also.
Q: Did you strain out the hops and squeeze them to get back the absorbed wort?

Back