local water report - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Just got the water report for my municipal water. Here's what I've got:

Mg --> 2.48 ppm
Ca --> 13.2 ppm
HCO3--> 28.06 ppm
SO4--> 10 ppm
Na --> 50 ppm
Cl --> 140 ppm

Clearly this water is soft. From my quick look at Palmer's How to Brew, this water is best for lighter colored brews (most closely resembles Pilsen water). I've been brewing darker beers and have been pretty happy with them, but now that I know my water profile I wonder if there are steps I can take to make my beers even better.

A couple of questions:
1) What can I expect from brewing various beer styles with this water without adjusting it? More/less bitter? Off flavors?

2) Any general suggestions on how to adjust the chemistry to be a better fit for darker beers?

Any other comments about my water would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks. :mug:

A general comment: The chloride is quite high, no doubt in part from winter highway salt runoff from roads near the reservoir. I would consider dilution with RO/distilled or a water with known very low chloride to cut that number at least in half. Lighter, maltly beers particularly lagers (Helles, Kolsch, Vienna, Bock, etc) could be brewed with your water as is although I would still want to bring the chloride down.

Read the link below for a beginning lesson in brewing water but in very general terms for dark beers like stout or porter the addition of calcium carbonate to the mash would be appropriate. :mug:

Water And Homebrewing

yeah I would say you have some pretty good water, but wold echo the chloride being high. Adding CaCO3 for dark beers, maybe a little bit of MgSO4 or CaSO4 for IPA's to get the SO4 up.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into adding some CaCO3 for my darker brews. Looks like I need to get myself some refrigeration equipment so I can start brewing some pilsners!

BTW I just calculated my residual alkalinity based on the method laid out in How to Brew and came up with an RA of approximately 12-13 ppm, which is "ideal" for a brew of SRM 7. I bet it is no coincidence that the beer I think came out the best so far was my pale ale with an estimated SRM of 7.9!

Back