using screw tops with a handcapper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faxe

Reaction score
What are the risks? I tested this out today by flipping the bottle upside down - no leakage. Is the only risk that it might explode?

I want to use a bunch of screw tops (mainly to save money) but don't want to lose my batch. help me out!

Or how about this: Can I use wine bottles with my handcapper?

They may not leak now, but once there is pressure inside those bottles, the gas my be able to leak out because of an improper seal on the cap due to the threading getting in the way of the crimp. I don't think those hand cappers will grab a wine bottle either, and I think the caps are usually a different size.

They may not leak now, but once there is pressure inside those bottles, the gas my be able to leak out because of an improper seal on the cap due to the threading getting in the way of the crimp. I don't think those hand cappers will grab a wine bottle either, and I think the caps are usually a different size.

Also on many screwtop bottles the glass is really thin near the threads, and the pressure from a hand capper (which is uneven because we may squeeze one saide harder than the other) has been known to crack the bottle...and of course that might mean glass shards in your beer..

Wine bottles usually don't have enough of a lip for the crown cap to grab around to form a seal..

But Champagne bottles do, I've used them for beer, and apfelwein with my hand capper to no ill effect.

okay, I may be able to get ahold of a bunch of champagne bottles.
Revvy, Why are their lips smaller, and is it almost universal for all champagne bottles?

okay, I may be able to get ahold of a bunch of champagne bottles.
Revvy, Why are their lips smaller, and is it almost universal for all champagne bottles?

Why are the lips of champagne bottles smaller than wine bottles???

I dunno. I guess it has to do with what is used to seal them...corks for wine bottles, or those plastic thingies for champagne. I'm sure the web has the explanation someplace...

I don't know is there's different types of champagne bottles, all the ones I've ever come upon took crown caps perfectly...In fact some N/A sparkling ciders just use a crown cap...My friends who usually buy the sparkling stuff for grandkids when the adults toast for Newyears save me bottles.

great, sounds perfect then. thank you for the help, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back