Wild Brews book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Does anyone own the Wild Brews book by Jeff Sparrow and Stan Hieronymus? What do you think about it? Trying to locate some good resources on brewing with nasties.

I have it sitting on my desk right now for reference. Good book, lots of good info, I highly recommend it if you are looking at doing sours.

It's due to be delivered to me tomorrow; I'll report back.

Stan Hieronymus's "Brew Like a Month" was quite excellent, so I have high hopes.

I also read the book, very good, kind of a slow start though.

Also read themadfermentationist.com his blog has a ton of good info on funky sour beers

I skipped to reading about the bugs and processes then went back and read it through. It is a fantastic resource and I read sections from it before brewing anything funky just to get my mind right. Enjoy!

While there are a few recipes in Wild Brews this is not a recipe book.

This explains the tradition behind the processes used. That and finite reactions of ingredients used to make Flanders Red and Brown's, Lambic, Gueze, and fruit based sours like Kriek.

This gets very detailed around in acid production times and growth phases. I highly recommend this if you are looking to deconstruct the sour fermenting process.

Back