A strange smell... Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinJack

Reaction score
So this is gonna seem odd, but i started another batch of my eternal Oat Ale (unhopped)over a month back... then after about 2 weeks fermentation was still regular i added it to a 5 gallon carboy (about 3 gallons of the ale) and added a gallon of already fermenting cider and let it settle for 3 days... i then at this time added a gallon of blue berry juice, without preservatives and repinched in a wheat beer yeast to jump start things... the fermentation went nuts and for a long time it smelled amazing... yesterday i moved it into the living room from the closet because it was warmer, it still smelled wonderful... i got home tonight and that wonderful smell seems to be gone replaced with a kinda scrubbed/ i hate to say it smells acidic and kinda vinigery... never added blue berry juice and never combinded an ale like recipe with a cider before... let alone blue berry juice... I am gonna take a gravity test and taste test tommrrow...to see if its viniger... any thoughts before then??? I dont think contamiation is possiable it was fine yesterday evening and nothing has changed phisically for the cider... it still ferments like it was... slower and slower these days... i would appreciate any input you guys may have.

Cheers

Back