Get Your Grubby Mitts Off My Lactose!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I swear, no matter what I do, my cider finishes at 1.002 or lower. Amazing! This time, I added half a pound of lactose along with the dextrose, and pitched Forbidden Fruit yeast.

Took SG reading last night, 1.002. :confused:

Whatever, it'll still be good cider, and I may try to back-sweeten it somehow, but damn...you'd think that half a pound of lactose would have added SOMETHING. Meh. I like dry cider, just thought it'd be nice to try a slightly sweeter one.

The good news is that the gallon I separated off into another container is nice and pellicle-ey right now. yay lactobacillus!

Was this a five gallon batch? I believe a half pound of lactose only adds about 4 points of gravity in a five gallon batch. Look at the bright side, your gravity probably would have been 0.998 without it.

To get my cider a little sweeter last year, I waited until it hit about 1.005, then racked to a keg, added wine conditioner (sweeter plus sorbate), apple juice concentrate, and gelatin to clear it, then crash cooled the keg. It stopped fermenting and was nice and sweet. First couple pours were cloudy, but cleared up quick.

;)
NO need to keep the yeast active if you're not going to bottle carb...it was a pretty simple statement....COFFEE man...It's not even 10 am!

Sometime it's the simplest of english statements that confuse us most when sober.

Coffee? Riiiiight, with a distinct aroma of Baileys no less. ;)

yeah, I usually bottle my cider so I can keep it for a long time, but I might just keg this batch. We'll see.

I've added a pound of lactose to 2.5 gallons of hard lemonade and I still couldn't taste it. I want to say the gravity was like 1.006-1.007, but don't know for certain. Stupid sweetness.

Back