My Epiphany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
So I've had a talk with both Mary Jane and Ma'dam Homebrew tongiht and it made me realize something about brewing beer. ..

Im a young man but most of my college and now adult life I've thought that in order to be happy I would need a high salary career wherver I worked. Since I;ve started brewing I can honestly saw I'd be happy the rest of my life If I got paid to brew beer.

Now, being honest I still want to make money and don't necessarily think I will end up in a brewery. But just the fact that homebrewing made me realize that I could be happy doing something I loved.

Has anyone else had brewing beer bring about this realization?

gonzoflick said:
So I've had a talk with both Mary Jane and Ma'dam Homebrew tongiht and it made me realize something about brewing beer. ..

Im a young man but most of my college and now adult life I've thought that in order to be happy I would need a high salary career wherver I worked. Since I;ve started brewing I can honestly saw I'd be happy the rest of my life If I got paid to brew beer.

Now, being honest I still want to make money and don't necessarily think I will end up in a brewery. But just the fact that homebrewing made me realize that I could be happy doing something I loved.

Has anyone else had brewing beer bring about this realization?

You know it!! I do make a good amount of money at my job in which I do enjoy. What really makes my happy is all the hobbies that I indulge in. I used to be worried about loosing my job all the time and now I really do not care. Now I really know what makes me happy. Not money, my passions!!

i wish i had mary jane rolling up on my lap right now :( i misses her

but yeah, i like my job right now, but probably not something i'll be doing forever. i love homebrewing and nothing can stop me from doing that...well...except maybe liver failure or if i become paralyzed.

hmm...i'm sure i'd still find a way ;)

We seem to have had a similar personal evolution. I fortunately have the same feelings but about two passions.

Currently I have a good engineering job that pays well and allows me to travel. But of course the down side is loads of stress, too much time away, and always having to worry about making the boss happy (the part I despise the most).

I am seriously thinking about giving it all up and going back to the family farm. While the farm would be less money and harder physical work I would be working from myself and living a simpler country life. Plus there is access to all kinds of equipment that can help in brewing (lathes, mills, welders) and room to do things like grow hops. Farming is also slow during the winter months, which would allow lots of brewing time.

I defiantly agree brewing has gotten me thinking more about doing things I enjoy versus making the big $. This truly is an amazing hobby. Not only does it get you philosophizing about life you can also get drunk and be proud of the liquid that get you there.

Homebrewing has helped bring out the do-it-yourselfer in me. My default mode used to be "buy it new at retail." Now, I scrounge around for used stuff and do a lot more build-it and fix-it projects around the house by myself. This helps the pocketbook, and increases my manliness factor, both are things that SWMBO appreciates. :mug:

Back