Yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I have a Rogue Brutal Bitter that is almost ready to transfer to secondary and I was thinking of trying to wash the yeast (Pacman). I've read over the yeast washing thread and had some questions. I ferment in a bucket and was wondering if I could use a turkey baster to get the yeast out? Or, should I just pour carefully? The same goes for transferring from the larger glass bottle to the masson jars.

I ferment in a bucket and was wondering if I could use a turkey baster to get the yeast out?
Have only done this once or twice, but I don't see what not (obligatory sanitation speech); keep in mind, though, the bottom is yeast/trub, so you'll need to go through the "washing" steps. Of course, you could carefully pour as well - that's what I did. I mixed in some bottled water, swirled, then poured.

The same goes for transferring from the larger glass bottle to the masson jars.
I think the same thing applies here. I just poured into the Mason jar I used for storing it, but you could turkey-baster it as well.

Rick (see first line of signature)

Latest posts

Back