Alcohol lvl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcvay131

Reaction score
How do you raid the alcohol lvl. I have a Scottish ale that's suppose to be at 5% how do I make it about 7%?

A couple of ways. One is to add some more DME/LME of the same type as recipe. A pound should do it.

Corn sugar works too in small amounts. It gives a slight dryness versus DME.

A third way is to reduce total volume. Knock off a half gallon and you'll be close.

One thing to be mindful of is the yeast. Some are meant for lower ABV, different ones for high ABV. But you are probably OK at 7%.

Reminder - raising the ABV leads to blow-offs - you can rig a blow off tube to avoid a huge mess.

jethro55 said:
A couple of ways. One is to add some more DME/LME of the same type as recipe. A pound should do it.

Corn sugar works too in small amounts. It gives a slight dryness versus DME.

One thing to be mindful of is the yeast. Some are meant for lower ABV, different ones for high ABV. But you are probably OK at 7%.

Reminder - raising the ABV leads to blow-offs - you can rig a blow off tube to avoid a huge mess.

Ok so if I have an air lick on my fermenter bucket will that be fine or do I still need the blow off if so how would I make one so I don't have to spend a hole lot for one? Thanks for helping with the previous question.

Not on strong brews. The krausen will clog it and then blow the whole lid off. Just search blow off and you can read the results almost every day.

The siphon tubing is usually the right diameter to fit into the grommet in the bucket lid. Then just put the other end in a jug of water. Many add sanitizer to the bucket of water.

How do you raid the alcohol lvl. I have a Scottish ale that's suppose to be at 5% how do I make it about 7%?

Adding one pound of DME to most 5 gallon extract batches will not change the overall balance TOO MUCH. It will reduce the hops bitterness slightly. If you choose to add more than one pound of extract to a recipe, I suggest proportionately increasing the the amount of hops. (for example, if you increase the amount of extract by 25%, then you should also increase the hops by roughly the same percentage to keep the finished beer balanced.)

Ok cool thanks alot from both of you. Brewing my first partial mash now, it's called rebel 80 shilling Scottish ale. Wish me luck.

Congrats & good luck on your 1st partial mash. I'll be doing my 3rd & forth next week. Once you start reading what flavors & such come from what grains,you'll start getting all kinds of ideas!:mug:

Back