Is bottle conditioning necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awsduncan

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing with my first batch currently fermenting.

I want to know if bottle conditioning is necessary? Can the beer be bottled without the yeast residue like shop bought beer??

Ali

Yes but you'd need to filter, keg, force carbonate, and then bottle from that.

I'm new to brewing with my first batch currently fermenting.

I want to know if bottle conditioning is necessary? Can the beer be bottled without the yeast residue like shop bought beer??

Ali

A lot of store bought brews are bottle conditioned. The yeast will cake on the bottom of the bottle. The longer it is conditioned and the longer it is in the fridge, the tighter the yeast cake gets.

If you ultimately plan on putting your beer in bottles, you will need to bottle condition unless you have a kegging setup. You'll need 2-3 weeks to achieve carbonation. Really no other way around it.

If you ultimately plan on putting your beer in bottles, you will need to bottle condition unless you have a kegging setup. You'll need 2-3 weeks to achieve carbonation. Really no other way around it.

Not that I'm advocating it, but you can force carb and then bottle. Some "Brew on Site" places offer such services. But they will charge you, and you'll probably get a poorer tasting, albiet maybe a clearer, beer. Might be worth the effort if you wanted to make a light lager or something...

Back