Crisp MO vs Crisp pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrZym802

Reaction score
I have another thread that isn't quite clarifying this up in my recipe. Is Crisp MO different than Crisp Pale malt? Or are they essentially the same thing and should I just use one instead of splitting the 2?

Crisp is the malting company from the UK. They still practice traditional floor malting of barley for Maris Otter malt. I do not think floor malting is used for Pale Ale malt, but I may be wrong on that.

For brewing purposes, Maris Otter has more color (3 - 4 degrees Lovibond) compared to pale malt (2.5 - 3.5 degrees Lovibond). Maris Otter also has a maximum moisture content of 2.8% compared to Pale Ale malt's maximum of 3% moisture which can result in a higher potential gravity at larger volumes when using Maris Otter (not really applicable for homebrew scale).

Maris Otter is the variety of barley. It is an agriculturally lower yielding variety, which is reflected by the higher price. Pale Ale malt is made from multiple varieties of barley (Brewers Supply Group website lists Optic and Fanfare as recent examples).

Ultimately, the biggest difference will be flavor and mouthfeel.

Perfect. That's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Back