Best woods to smoke mutton?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
I picked up a leg of mutton from the local Iraqi butchers. I'll be slow cooking and smoking it but I was wondering if anyone had experience on what wood to use. I have the staple beech as well as apple and maple, and some American type of bush called mesquite.

Apple wood is my go to for most meats. I have never slow smoked mutton,and would use the apple, but you might look into grape vines, and also putting whole sticks of rosemary on the coals. I just got the Kamodo ll and did lamb chops with the grape vine and rosemary and they were delicious.

Thanks, I think I'll go for apple. I've never smoked mutton before. My go to is to slow cook it with juniper and clove. To go with plum sauce as well. I'll chuck some rosemary in when I put it in the smoker.

I picked up a leg of mutton from the local Iraqi butchers. I'll be slow cooking and smoking it but I was wondering if anyone had experience on what wood to use. I have the staple beech as well as apple and maple, and some American type of bush called mesquite.

When I was in Afghanistan, we would cook mutton on a regular basis at our combat outpost, since fresh meat easily beat out MREs. :tank: We used whatever wood we could buy from the locals, which was usually juniper-looking trees. They imparted a sweet piney flavor which tasted amazing.

If that isn't a possibility, mesquite would definitely be great, as would hickory.

Maybe one of the A's - Apple or Alder, neither would be overpowering. If you prefer stronger smoke flavor try mesquite or hickory.

I wouldn't smoke with mesquite - it's great for direct grilling some steaks, but it's supposed to give off a bunch of creosote as a smoking wood.

I like to smoke a leg of lamb for Easter. I use cottonwood or pin oak, but apple is great. Been wanting to try some maple though. That might be good? :mug:

I can now confirm it's tasty with apple. Deep, sweet and fruity. It takes quite a bit to overpower mutton, so it came out fairly balanced.

Back