Extract Recipes vs Reality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderous

Reaction score
So I'm on my 3rd batch of brew. I am brewing an amber ale from an extract kit. The recipe says to all it to ferment for 4 weeks and then let it bottle condition for for 2. Its been 5 weeks and my airlock is still bubbling strong (3x + per minute). My brain says to wait it out for the bubbles to slow and pull a Final Gravity reading then. Any thoughts on theory vs reality?

you are comparing theory to theory. the written theory you have with the instructions and your theory that its still fermenting and not off gassing.

Reality is the way to go. Take a reading with your hydro, then another in two days. If its still the same, you're realized your FG in reality. :)

What's the FG that the recipe calls for? It could be fermenting slowly but you won't know until you take a gravity reading as previously suggested.

i checked norther brewer, brewers best and a few others for the amber ale and everyone of them the average OG looks like 1.047-1.052

There's lots of reasons an airlock could be bubbling that has nothing to do with fermentation....the only way to know what is going on with your beer, has nothing to do with posting on a forum, or asking for advice...The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Bubbles could also occur to the liquid becoming warmer. During ferementation, the liquid, even at this temperature and not sealed in a bottle, will be saturated with carbon dioxide. When the liquid warms up, the residual carbon dioxide will be released.

It could be a slow fermentation that's still occuring.

Only way to be sure it's finished is taking that final hydrometer reading.

Ahh...more theory for the theory vs reality. the theory that its at a temperature causing the beer to theoretically still be fermenting.....the theory that it will go from a theoretical predicted OG to a theoretical predicted FG...

or..the reality of seeing if its still fermenting by measuring the real gravity :)

Ahh...more theory for the theory vs reality. the theory that its at a temperature causing the beer to theoretically still be fermenting.....the theory that it will go from a theoretical predicted OG to a theoretical predicted FG...

or..the reality of seeing if its still fermenting by measuring the real gravity :)

im lost :drunk:

brewd00d said:

Just leave it in there until it stops bubbling. What the he'll else is gonna make it bubble? An infection? If so the beer is already ruined.

LOL. True. Overthink as much as you want or just go get your answer with a hydrometer.

Just leave it in there until it stops bubbling. What the he'll else is gonna make it bubble? An infection? If so the beer is already ruined.
+1. Stay the course. It is pretty much out of your hands now.

JWhat the he'll else is gonna make it bubble? An infection? .

Off gassing of CO2 would be the most likely suspect and is very common. While I like long primaries (or maybe i'm lazy) fermentation still occurring at week 5 of a an extract kit brew is probably not very likely. The yeast have produced C02. And nothing says the CO2 has to come out of the carboy, or stop coming out of the carboy, based on what the yeast are doing.

The C02 can be held in solution and slowly off gassing, drops in temperature could make it come out, barometric pressure could make it come out, etc.

But, back to the original topic, and my tongue and cheek post a bit back, that's all theory. The hydrometer is the reality.

koerd85 said:

The beer dies not send magical fermentation bubbles up while fermenting. Bubbles are an escape of the co2 by product of fermentation. Fermentation can be long over, but if the air pressure changes or the temp goes up the beer can release some of the co2 it had absorbed. Like said, that only way to know is consistent gravity readings over 2-3 days.

Back