3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I let my clone sit for a month and now with 2 months in the keg on gas, it's perfect. The flavors finally meshed. Loving it.

Ok, I let my clone sit for a month and now with 2 months in the keg on gas, it's perfect. The flavors finally meshed. Loving it.

I drank a couple of mine early, but I think you are right, it does take some time. Ten days in the the cold, makes it taste really good.

Ooops, posted on the wrong Zombie Dust thread. I'll definitely give this one a try in a few weeks and report back once all is said and done. Looks like it is going to make a delicious brew!

I was thinking about brewing this today. Do you need to make a starter for the 1968? I will have to change my scheduling if it is needed.

A lot of times I don't mess with a starter on beers with an OG like this, but Mr. Malty pitching rate calculator will recommend one. If you don't make one it will probably be fine, but if you have time to make one, then that would be good.

I think it is always preferred. Google Mr Malty's Yeast Pitch Calc and see how much yeast it recommends you to pitch for this recipe's OG. I'm sure it will make a fine beer without it but a better beer with the proper amount of yeast.

I read this whole thread and now I have to buy a case. I'm glad I'm only 45 minutes from the brew pub. I was there about two weeks ago and the whole two hour to wait there was a steady stream of people walking out with cases of Zombie Dust. We called them the walking dead.

I racked mine to the keg three days ago. The 4-oz sample I had made me firmly believe this could be the best beer I've ever brewed. I'm not an old pro by any means, but I have around 15 all-grain batches under my belt, and quite a few of them have turned out very well. This beer is by far the best I've tasted straight out of the secondary!!

skeezerpleezer, thanks for the great recipe. I made just a few minor changes and entered this into the Frankenmuth Homebrew at the W.E.B. competition this year. It scored 40.5 and got an honorable mention.

Your welcome, and nice! I planned to enter my latest in a couple Atlanta competitions, but was lazy and didn't bottle in time. Oh we'll I guess, maybe next time. Sitting on over 3 lbs of Citra, so I can make a few more batches.

skeezer - was reading in another thread that citra doesn't mix well with other hops. Have you experienced this? Need to know before trying this recipe (thanks for providing).

Apparently whoever was contributing to that thread does not know what they are talking about. I like Citra with any/all other American hops; it is my go to hop. It is an excellent late addition/dryhop. My favorite personal recipe other than this ZD has has a lot of Citra/Amarillo/Centennial late, with Simcoe/Citra dryhop. You won't be dis-satisfied.

skeezer - thanks for the reply. I'm into combining hops (malts, etc) for the complex flavors and aromas. Think the chef in me is bleeding over into the brewer.

I am no chef, but to me putting Citra in a hoppy beer is like adding a little salt/pepper/garlic to a nice main dish. Can't go wrong there. Cheers.

I think you'd be fine using cascade or centennial in the bittering portion since all of that great floral punch is going to come from the late additions and dry hopping.

Then again, I'm a fan of really clean single-hop IPAs.

All-Columbus and All Nelson Sauvin = <3

ao125 said:
I think you'd be fine using cascade or centennial in the bittering portion since all of that great floral punch is going to come from the late additions and dry hopping.

Then again, I'm a fan of really clean single-hop IPAs.

All-Columbus and All Nelson Sauvin = <3

Agreed. Getting this quantity of Citra may be hard to do, so if you can't, use another to get some bitterness, but use some Citra at 15, and flameout/dryhop. I used the grainbill on another ipa with centennial/Citra/simcoe, and it was great also.

My 1st experience with NS was my Stone 15th imperial black ipa clone. Only dryhop, but smells phenomenal. I have an all NS IPA recipe worked up to do sometime, but would be interested in seeing yours if you want to share.

I'm having the real McCoy right now. One of my favorite pale ales for sure.

Zombie_Dust.jpg

skeezerpleezer said:
Apparently whoever was contributing to that thread does not know what they are talking about. I like Citra with any/all other American hops; it is my go to hop. It is an excellent late addition/dryhop. My favorite personal recipe other than this ZD has has a lot of Citra/Amarillo/Centennial late, with Simcoe/Citra dryhop. You won't be dis-satisfied.

Yeah, how much for the recipe? The last one was awesome.

You got me thinking now how/what hop combos to try in this recipe. Might wait and see how the IPA (currently in the fermenter) tastes with the magnum, cascade and simcoe combo before committing to the hop schedule. Might throw citra in the IPA dry hop mix with cascade and possibly chinook. Do you think chinook would be wasted in the dry hop?

You got me thinking now how/what hop combos to try in this recipe. Might wait and see how the IPA (currently in the fermenter) tastes with the magnum, cascade and simcoe combo before committing to the hop schedule. Might throw citra in the IPA dry hop mix with cascade and possibly chinook. Do you think chinook would be wasted in the dry hop?

i like Chinook, but haven't ever used it with Citra. I would use less of it, as it can be overpowering.

Here is the other recipe I like a lot. It has been a huge hit, even if non craft drinkers are around the kegs don't last long at all. Some people don't like much caramel, but this mix is phenomenal. I have made it a lot of times, the carafoam/carapils is probably not really needed. It will hold nice head till the pint is finished. I am actually planning to make another batch of it tomorrow due to requests. The hops play very well together. "Cara (multiple caramel malts) Sutra (Summit/Citra)":

Cara Sutra
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: American IPA
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 78.6 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
0.38 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.0 %
1.00 oz Summit [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 43.3 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.30%] (15 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.30%] (5 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.20%] (5 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90%] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.30%] (1 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
0.75 oz Centennial [9.20%] (1 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [6.90%] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Citra [12.30%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 10.4 SRM
Bitterness: 70.9 IBU
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.9 %

I did a 90 min. Boil on one zombie dust because I used pilsner instead of 2row (needs a 90 min boil). Some people may do it to caramelize the wort some, or to get better efficiency (sparge more and boil off more).

am i missing something on the AG hop schedule? It seems like you have some FWH then nothing until 20 minutes left in a 60 minute boil? I really want to make something with a ****load of Citra.

Just brewed this yesterday. The day was a nightmare. Everything went wrong. I caught my Mash Tun on fire (I forgot that I had insulated the bottom last week and tried to direct fire). That was stupid. Also my efficiency sucked so I had to boil off forever. It's a new system and I'm still working out the kinks.

My OG came in at 1.069 which is right where I wanted it. Citra smells amazing-I'm going to have to modify some of my other recipes to add it in! It's bubbling away right now. I think I'm going to dry hop in the keg. IPAs don't last very long in my house, so I don't have to worry about grassy flavors.

This is a very good beer to drink, think I am running low, so I might have to brew some more of this, have two lbs of citra that I need to use up.

skeezer - went to the LHBS and got all the grains cracked and bagged together for a 3 gallon ZD batch. Asked for citra hops and store only had 1 oz left. Now I'm faced with figuring out a hop schedule with 1 oz citra along with a good supply of magnum, cascade, chinook, willamette and summit.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I am going to brew the extract version of this in a few days. I will post up how it goes and appreciate and pointers on this one in advance.

This will be my 3rd beer I have brewed but I just had some ZD and loved it!

am i missing something on the AG hop schedule? It seems like you have some FWH then nothing until 20 minutes left in a 60 minute boil? I really want to make something with a ****load of Citra.

You aren't missing anything. FWH stays in the whole boil. The rest are 20 min or less to get massive flavor/aroma. Look up hop bursting. If you are wanting to use a lot of Citra, i would say this would be one worth doing.

This beer is awesome. I made the AG version and am getting down to the last few bottles. As others have suggested, cold conditioning for about 10 days does wonders for this beer. It's not a practice I use for my other IPA's but the harsh astringency seems to mellow and the mango/citrus really comes through with some time in the cold. Anybody know why this is ? I left one at room temp and cooled for 48 hrs and compared it to the cold conditioned one and it didn't even compare.

savylemons said:
This beer is awesome. I made the AG version and am getting down to the last few bottles. As others have suggested, cold conditioning for about 10 days does wonders for this beer. It's not a practice I use for my other IPA's but the harsh astringency seems to mellow and the mango/citrus really comes through with some time in the cold. Anybody know why this is ? I left one at room temp and cooled for 48 hrs and compared it to the cold conditioned one and it didn't even compare.

Did you dry hop during the 10 day cold crash, or did you do it beforehand?

Also did you prime your bottles with extra dextrose or corn sugar due to longer cold crash?

Cheers

You don't want more sugar if you cold crash.

I usually cold crash a couple days prior to kegging/bottling, but I think the other poster meant it was better if you leaved a carbed bottle in the fridge for some time before drinking, not cold crashing before bottling. So dryhop, bottle, let it carbonate, then cold condition.

I get the same thing. Thought I had ruined the beer when I first drank it. Now it's tasting amazing and no astringency.

I got a ticket to Dark Lord Day, so will be making the trip from Atlanta. If anyone else is going and wants to trade some of this let me know, I can pack some in my suitcase. Or just share a couple brews for that matter. I would like to sample some other people's.

And if any of you locals can snag a 6 or 12 of the real deal between now and then I will pay when I get there if you want to meet up. And Ragnarock also, that is the best porter I ever had.

Back