Lots of sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salanis

Reaction score
Brew day for batch three, a saison. This was my first batch using a modified online recipe, as opposed to the pre-measured packs the HBS has. This was also my first partial mash at home.

Siphoning it out of my brew pot, there was about 1 1/2" of hops muck on the bottom, almost 1/2 gallon that I couldn't use.

I'm wondering if I messed something up, or if maybe there's a trick where I can recover a bit more of my wort. Maybe I over-hopped. I added a bit over 3oz of hops (tasting the wort from my SG vial, it seemed good). Or maybe because I was using grain bags, I left a bunch of floaty crud behind.

I did give the beer plenty of time to settle everything out.

I suppose I could use a hop bag, but that seems like it wouldn't get as good of extraction. Alternately, I might add a bit more of my topping up water to the brewpot before siphoning, so what is left behind is more dilute, and less valuable.

All figured, I should be okay. My O.G. was just a shade under my target 1.058 instead of 1.060. So, it will just be a bit more refreshing and less hefty saison.

Many, myself included, dump it all into the fermentor. It will settle out given enough time, and you can speed it up with a cold crash and gelatin.

Trying for a cleaner beer/more usable beer, I decided that AFTER the wort was cooled to pitching temps, I would use a stainless steel colander and a fine bag to "filter" the wort as it went into the fermentor. Everything including my hands, colander and the bag was sanitized.

This has seemed to work exceptionally well and I will be doing this from now on. It does add a small amount of time to the process but I get as much as possible out of my wort and the extra 5-10 minutes seems small in comparison to loosing 1/2 gallon of wort.

I actually had to stir the wort in the bag as it went through, I think there may have been some "dough" that was stopping the natural flow through the bag. Since the wort is cooled and it is 90% hops stuff I actually wrung the "stuff" out to extract all the potential beer I could. I then whisk aerated the wort and pitched the yeast.

I have had 0 issues with fermentation and can not detect any "off flavors" to be concerned about, yet...it is still in secondary for another 2 weeks or so...

+1 to the fine bag "filter". After I cool my wort I also run it through a bag to filter it. This allows me to get rid of a lot of the stuff that will make the beer cloudy/"chewy". Has worked great for me so far. I do like the idea of using a colander as well... might give that a try :)

+1 to the fine bag "filter". After I cool my wort I also run it through a bag to filter it. This allows me to get rid of a lot of the stuff that will make the beer cloudy/"chewy". Has worked great for me so far. I do like the idea of using a colander as well... might give that a try :)

I just thought I would add in the colander allows me to not have to juggle so many things at 1 time or hold the bag in the air while it filters, I can set it down and take a fast rest, then continue.

I had a colander, but it was way too small. I'm figuring you probably use one of the larger metal mesh ones that would be appropriate for straining pasta.

For those who use a bag, any particular styles? Are you using something like a small/medium steeping bag?

I had a colander, but it was way too small. I'm figuring you probably use one of the larger metal mesh ones that would be appropriate for straining pasta.

For those who use a bag, any particular styles? Are you using something like a small/medium steeping bag?

I had a small fine 24x12 fine mesh brewing bag. It was to small to use safely IMO. I cut mine open and have a mesh straining cloth now, when I decide to buy one I would def go bigger than the small...IMO.

I had a small fine 24x12 fine mesh brewing bag. It was to small to use safely IMO. I cut mine open and have a mesh straining cloth now, when I decide to buy one I would def go bigger than the small...IMO.

So, do you put a straining cloth in a frame to gather up everything?

So, do you put a straining cloth in a frame to gather up everything?

I use the colander for that...I pour the wort through the bag/cloth while it sits in the colander. That way if it stops straining and needs a stir I can stop and take care of things. I do partial mashes my cloth needs cleaned and re-sanitized about every 2 - 2.5 gallons. (It gets full of crud pretty fast!)

Back