Is 5 weeks in a fermentor to long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STUNTx2

Reaction score
Hello,
I brewed a batch of nutty brown ale about 10 days ago, hoping to get it into bottles before the holidays. I am going to have to leave town before that happens now, and was wondering if my beer will be worth bottling when I get back. I am hesitant to bottle it now as the air lock is still bubbling, about one bubble every 30 seconds or so, and don't want to bottle prematurely. I also don't want to wait another 3 weeks and bottle something I'm just going to have to pour out. Is it better to bottle sooner or later? My carboy is in a dark closet, at between 65 and 75 degrees depending on the time of day(old house, lousy insulation). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5 weeks in the primary fermenter at those temperatures is not too long. If you're really concerned, rack it to a secondary just before you leave town.

My last beer stayed in primary for 4 weeks and its one of the better beers I've made.

BTW, welcome to HBT. :mug:

Mine normally sit for at least 1 1/2 months in the primary, most 2-3 months

Your beer will be better than if you just let it sit until you get a steady gravity reading. Your whole batch will thank you for letting it hang out together for a little longer and to batch condition, picking up each other's great qualities. If you bottle now while fermentation continues, you could very well come home to a huge mess from exploding beer bottles.

Back