Royal Oak micro brewer lands major distribution deal, contract with Meijer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think as more micros opt to can, we'll gonna be seeing more of this.

With growing interest in craft beers and locally produced products, Kristy Smith and Scott King of MillKing It Productions, have found the community support of their craft beers “outstanding.”

And now they’re on the way to sharing their craft beers with more people in Southeast Michigan and beyond.

The Royal Oak brewer recently signed on with two new distributors — Mount Clemens-based Pettipren Inc. and Hubert Distributors of Pontiac — and landed a contract with Meijer to get cans of its AXL Pale Ale and BRIK Irish Red Ale into the hands of more beer lovers throughout Michigan.

MillKing It Productions also cans the Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA.

“These developments are as big as it gets for a craft brewery the size of ours,” said King, vice president and brewer for the company. “With the marketing manpower, reach and expertise of our wholesalers, we will be able to grow at a rate that would have been difficult, if not impossible, on our own.”

Dave Van Norman, general sales manager for Hubert Distributors, said his company is looking forward to what he calls a win-win partnership with MillKing It Productions.

“We’ve been looking for a Michigan craft beer to put in our portfolio for a while,” Van Norman said.

“It’s a growing segment and the people at MillKing It Productions are so passionate about what they do. We’re excited to be involved with them.”

Meijer is test marketing the beers in its Rochester Hills store.

“We’ve been trying to carry various local beers,” said Meijer spokesman Dave Peterson. “If they do well, we’ll carry them in other stores.”

The distribution expansion has led MillKing It Productions to add two new 1,000-gallon fermentation tanks, bringing the brewer’s total to five, and two 1,000-gallon storage tanks to meet the demand. The new equipment will allow the company to increase its production from 1,000 barrels to 8,000 barrels a year, ramping up revenue from $200,000 to $1 million.

AXL Pale Ale, BRIK Irish Red and Rochester Mills Cornerstone IPA are available in 150 stores in Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.

Commercially produced craft beers account for only 2 percent of all beer consumed in Michigan.

MillKing It Production’s three varieties represent traditional style ales that are familiar to most palates.

“The BRIK Irish Red Ale focuses on the malty character that’s caramel and sweet, and the AXL Pale ale focuses more on the hops and has more of bitterness to it,” King said.

King believes MillKing It Production’s stylized and colorful cans, often thought to be a hallmark of mass-produced, value-priced beers, are the ideal package for beers, which typically have a short shelf life and are prone to environmental factors that promote spoilage.

“Cans are a better container for beer,” King said. “It provides less oxygen uptake, you’re never going to get light into the package, it’s more environmentally sound, and it maintains and transfers temperatures better than bottles.”

With the expansion and investment in new equipment, MillKing It Productions principals plan to hire five new employees by the end of the summer. Currently, Smith, who is company president, King and one other person are the only employees.

“It’s like changing the world to me when you employ people and give them benefits,” Smith said.

i wish more craft breweries would do the same now that i have all the bottles i need.

Back