PID Ramp/Soak Feature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Maker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone utilizing this?

I noticed in the Auber website it is an option with the SYL-43X2 PID for an extra $32. If I understand it correctly, it seems like it could be a useful feature for the occasional step mash or even to program the unit to ramp up automatically to mash out after a set time for a standard single infusion mash. Kind of a set it and forget it type thing.

Any thoughts?

Absolutely. The PID I picked up on ebay years ago had the ramp/soak feature, and I played with it a bit, but don't routinely use it. I would suggest that if you get and use this feature, to program the alarm feature to your mash out temp (~168F) and connect a sonalert or similar annunciator to the alarm terminals to get your attention when to start timing that step.

So it's not an automated feature and requires operator input to move through the different steps? I just skimmed over it, but the way I understood it you can set up to 30 different steps with a time for each soak. Once that step was completed it would move on to the next automatically.

I'll have to go back and actually read the manual.

Back