Adding stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srm277

Reaction score
I have heard that you can add honey and syrup and other stuff to beer because its fermentable. When do you actually add it and what does it do in the beer? What are the different types of unique items i can add into my beer to make it taste different?
I like darker beers like new castle, but i enjoy trying new and unique beers, anything random i see i gotta try and enjoy some most of it. so i guess u can say i like all beers, but favor my new castle
but after making 3 batches im curious about taking a bunch of stuff, throwing it together like my own recipe to see what happens. worst comes to worst and it tastes like crap i can drink it after i have a good buzz from my first 3 batches.
Thanks

Go for it! Add what ever you can get your hands on! That's how new beers are made, through experimentation. So far I have only used orange zest and coriander in a wheat, but you can add almost anything you can dream up as long as it won't kill your yeast. So maybe if you like the taste of draino, you should add that right before kegging and force carb.

Just keep in mind that you need to add a lot of some ingredients to get the flavor. If you want to use fresh fruit, you may need to add six pounds in the secondary just to get the flavors to poke through, more if you want the flavor to be dominant.

so you add it in the secondary? for how long and u mix it up or not? i wanna add cinomin how ever its spelled one day out of curiosity

Now that you mention it, I did make a killer pumpkin red ale last october with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ground cloves, and a half can of pumpkin puree. I think I used about a teaspoon of each spice. I added it all with five minutes lef tin the boil.

The pumpkin didn't add much noticable flavor, but the spices, especially the clove, were just enough to leave a lovely spicy after taste in your mouth.

Some additives you need to pasteurize first such as honey this involves raising them to a temperature for a period of time before adding.
Some fruits are better frozen first to break the cell structure.. do a search, fair bet someone has tried it before..

Back