Filthy Weevils in my grain, meet my foodsaver!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDom

Reaction score
I've got weevils in my 2-row. Lame. I just got a food-saver, yay! Has anyone tried killing these things by taking their 02 away? I'm trying it, if anyone's interested, I'll post the results.

Anyways, back to brewing.
D

I recently had them all over my apartment. Closed up any open food, and if they were in the grains, well they're crushed, drowned or boiled by now;)

proper vorloffing should keep any from entering your boil, and the boil itself will kill any nasties they may happen to carry:p

Oh, no worrying here! Just got done playing Old Testament God, what with the smiting and the hellfire and the 0.75oz of target. :D

I'd just hate for them to feast on my grains and ruin 'em before I can go through the remaining 40lbs.

I had two weevils in my house, a very tiny one and a really big one. I consulted them one day about brewing, and said "Hey Weevils! Do you think I should start brewing beer?"

The big weevil said "Mate, brewing is very expensive, very hard work and you will get frustrated from time to time.. you should just forget about it"

The little itty bitty weevil said "Dude! Go for it! Your beer will taste better than most beers you can buy, it will cost less money in the long run, and you will enjoy every single minute you spend brewing!"

Well, after carefully considering both opinions, I knew who I had to listen to...

I chose the lesser of two weevils.

I've got weevils in my 2-row. Lame. I just got a food-saver, yay! Has anyone tried killing these things by taking their 02 away?

I've heard (and tried) putting dry ice on top of your grain stash so the outgassed CO2 kills anything in the container.

No buggies so far.

I had two weevils in my house, a very tiny one and a really big one. I consulted them one day about brewing, and said "Hey Weevils! Do you think I should start brewing beer?"

The big weevil said "Mate, brewing is very expensive, very hard work and you will get frustrated from time to time.. you should just forget about it"

The little itty bitty weevil said "Dude! Go for it! Your beer will taste better than most beers you can buy, it will cost less money in the long run, and you will enjoy every single minute you spend brewing!"

Well, after carefully considering both opinions, I knew who I had to listen to...

I chose the lesser of two weevils.

Lame, but it made me chuckle! :p

Well, they're coming up on the 24hr mark in a vaccum, and there's still movement.

OK, this one goes back a few years, but I'll let go with it anyway....

The reason they are still moving and won't die?

Weevils wobble, but they won't fall down....

I sold a 5# CO2 tank on CL to a guy in Jacksonville. He said that he was planning on using it for storing grain. I didn't ask him about the nuts and bolts but I would assume that he is going to flood the grain with CO2 and seal it up.

Are they playing in a high school???

Last edited by a moderator:
Just let us know when they are dead mate: It will be great to

See no Weevil
Hear no Weevil
Speak no Weevil

OK, enough of the puns... I promise.

My wife said puns are not funny, so just to try to prove her wrong, I decided to tell her a dozen puns to try to make her laugh. I gave up though, after no pun in ten did.

I've got weevils in my 2-row. Lame. I just got a food-saver, yay! Has anyone tried killing these things by taking their 02 away? I'm trying it, if anyone's interested, I'll post the results.

Anyways, back to brewing.
D

i don't know about taking their 02 away, but they do survive microwaving in oatmeal.
note to self: put glasses on before eating breakfast:mad:

Less movement today than there was at the 24hr mark. They seem slower, and there's one that's kinda trapped above the grain in a little fold of the plastic, so that should make for easy monitoring. Granted, I'll have no way of knowing if the lil' bugger starved or suffocated, but it's something. The puns are great, SWMBO loves 'em! :mug:

It's been four days, and there's currently no movement! :ban: The lil' bugger trapped up at the top is all curled up and dead, and there are a few carcases here and there in some of the bags!

I should be brewing in a few days or a week, I'll let y'all know if there's any more alive in the middle of the bags at that point.

Get some,
Dom

Last edited by a moderator:
180 degrees will kill them but it will be bad for the grain. 3 days below zero will kill them as well. Many people mistakenly think that they got into the grain. They are actually trying to get out. The larvae were in the grain to begin with. You don't need to store the grain in the freezer, the 3 days will kill the weevils and their eggs so you won't have to woryy in the future.

Forrest

I remember when I was in Hungary, I was trying to ask for a book of matches, but apparantly I said my hovercraft is full of weevils.

Back