Hops in Hef primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pez

Reaction score
So when i was pouring my Hef wort in the primary, the screen in my funnel kept clogging very easily. I got irritated and pulled out the screen and poured the wort right in with the hop bits and all. I am really not too worried about this but just wondering what you all think the effect will be of leaving all the hop bits in there til i rack.

P.S. Looks like I'll be using a food strainer since its bigger and won't clog as easy.

No effect at all. The hops will settle. I tried straining a while back and gave it up for exactly the issue you describe. Mostly I make very hoppy ales but even for hefes, it is not a problem.

Pez said:
So when i was pouring my Hef wort in the primary, the screen in my funnel kept clogging very easily. I got irritated and pulled out the screen and poured the wort right in with the hop bits and all. I am really not too worried about this but just wondering what you all think the effect will be of leaving all the hop bits in there til i rack.

P.S. Looks like I'll be using a food strainer since its bigger and won't clog as easy.
Try the strianer with the screen next time. The strainer will catch the bigger stuff and the screen should get the smaller. Keep a long plastic spoon sanitized for in the future. If the screen clogs you can use it to move the debris to the side.

Back