Saison Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt,did you notice the ones you show contain sugar,not that that is a bad thing but this is already a high gravity brew.
I think the keg is going in tonight!

Bottled 2 1/2 cases of this tonight. I had almost forgotten how much of a PITA bottling is. Anyways it's more pink than red for sure the smell was great I didnt get to taste it because I literally had exactly 2 1/2 cases with little else but sediment in the bottling bucket. I will post a pic with my thoughts when it's carbonated.

Matt,did you notice the ones you show contain sugar,not that that is a bad thing but this is already a high gravity brew.
I think the keg is going in tonight!

Good catch Chef. You know, I did think it was odd that one of the reviewers talked about eating a bag of them! But they LOOKED so purty in the pic! Ah well. I went to a large Asian Supermarket today and looked to see if they had any...thought they might, in the herbal tea area...disappointed. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in a Mexican market here and there, but I'm not sure how fresh they would be or of what quality. I'll keep looking locally until I either find a good source or it comes time to "sh**, or get off the pot.", as my Dad used to say.

Well, I found a middle eastern grocery that carries some dried hibiscus flowers for $7.19 lb...but they only carry about 3 containers at a time that each weigh about 0.40 lbs. I bought all three. They'll re-supply, but I didn't ask how long it would be. I bet they could order as much as I wanted though. Anyway, I just thought I'd cover a single flower with hot water and see how it tastes. It's hard to get a photo that accurately captures the color, but it's about like a rose' wine. It kind of has a tart/sour flavor with an earthy, yet citrusy, dry finish, very much like tea. Looking forward to some saison!

DSC04985.jpg

DSC04968.jpg

It kind of has a tart/sour flavor with an earthy, yet citrusy, dry finish, very much like tea. Looking forward to some saison!

Yeah that's the flavor profile for sure i always think it's like cranberry with a bit of citrus. I make aqua de jamaica at home and its sweetened but still has that flavor profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402701704.918290.jpg
Cracked my first Hibiscus Saison and not much carbonation yet. it tastes good slightly tart got more yeast character from the Belle Saison than I got from the saison i brewed with Wyeast 3711

Dumb question, when do I add the cane sugar?
Brewing this right now but doing BIAB. First time went bad but trying once more. Mashed in about 10 minutes ago.

Dumb question, when do I add the cane sugar?

Brewing this right now but doing BIAB. First time went bad but trying once more. Mashed in about 10 minutes ago.

End of the boil last 10 minutes

Well my first and biggest issue with the first BIAB was getting the bag out. The kettle top was 10" below my head. It was a mess. I said some words I hardly ever say.

Pre boil gravity is only slightly lower than anticipated but my water volume is higher by .60 gallons. All in all I think this will turn out. I had some issue with the bag but I wasn't struggling as much as the last time. Having a bucket nearby helped so much and putting a towel on the floor was a good idea.

Bringing to a boil now. Thank you all for your help.

Well, missed OG by quite a bit but I'll live. It'll still be a pretty big saison.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402766585.510698.jpg

Not bad, actually great price but minimum order is $30. :(

I brewed 9gal of this 10 days ago. I am going to pick up some hibiscus flowers soon. If you are having a hard finding some let me know. I can send you some.

another question: why not add the hibiscus to the boil?

Having never used hibiscus before my initial impression would be that adding it to the boil would be fine; however, I question the amount of possible tannins it could release or could it start to taste more like a wine? The tea may give you a brighter smell and flavor. I think about the comparison of adding strawberries at flame out vs adding them to secondary. I felt both tasted nearly the same but the smell was brighter with the beer where the strawberries were added to secondary.

I would not deter you from adding it to the boil but I'd add it at flameout or at 5 min. Another thought would be unless you ferment with the flowers, you may lose the flavor. Not 100% certain. Try and search some threads here where people used the flower and see what their results were.

another question: why not add the hibiscus to the boil?

I made a tea and added it to secondary and this us the first time I used it in a beer. That said I wonder if adding it to the boil would make for a more floral flavor? Idk this just wondering if it might. Also cleaning the red color out my stock pot is easier than cleaning my keggle.

i made a saison about 2 months ago and reserved a gallon for a jamaica tea addition at bottling time. next time i will use some more jamaica flowers. barely a hint or tartness but it goes very well with the style.
id be curious to see what flavors or aromas are added if you put some flowers in the boil.

IMG_2569.jpg

i made a saison about 2 months ago and reserved a gallon for a jamaica tea addition at bottling time. next time i will use some more jamaica flowers. barely a hint or tartness but it goes very well with the style.

id be curious to see what flavors or aromas are added if you put some flowers in the boil.

I made a 1/4 - 1/2 gallon of tea with 8 oz of Jamaica flowers and the flavor is definitely tart. This beer is a winner I'll definitely brew it again. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403282595.339220.jpg

Hey, I've got this going now and it smells phenomenal in the fermentor. And I picked up the hibiscus leaves today.

One question. After making the tea, do you strain out the hibiscus, or dump it all in the fermentor?

Hey, I've got this going now and it smells phenomenal in the fermentor. And I picked up the hibiscus leaves today.

One question. After making the tea, do you strain out the hibiscus, or dump it all in the fermentor?

Strain the petals and don't be afraid to give em a little squeeze.

This one is next up in line fermenters are empty so hopefully next weekend I'll be brewing it

I'm at 1.004 after 10 days. Cold crashing my sample to see if it's worth my time to cold crash in general. With the wheat it is obviously cloudy.

It is good. My first saison too! After going to two stores and not finding hibiscus flowers I just ordered them. I needed new vanilla beans as well since the others molded. :( Should have them by Thursday and will bottle Friday most likely because the only empty tap I have was root beer/cream soda and I don't want to mess with buying new lines to drink this. Oh and I like having soda on tap.

13 days in primary and Its down to 1.001. I used white labs belgian saison II yeast. I think it's ready for dry hop and the hibiscus tea.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403735715.332488.jpg

Back