is a two hour mash too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysam

Reaction score
I finally have time to brew this weekend, kind of. I have a soccer game in the middle of a six hour gap. Can I mash for the 2 hours I am at the soccer game, then finish the brew day when I get home?
It is a Heff and I plan on mashing at 154*

Also, do you recomend mashing at 150* or 154* for a Heff?

I have mashed for 90 minutes before w/o any problems, the only thing you would want to be sure of is that over the course of 120 minutes you aren't losing too much heat otherwise the temperature decrease will aide in a more fermentable wort meaning a drier beer.

Personally, I would go with 150, giving it less body, a little drier and crisper, but if you are going to lose 4 degrees over 2 hours then go 154.

Just my two cents.

My hefe is mashing right now-at a steady 155, a little higher because I am looking for a semi sweet warm weather beer. Now, if I could only get it to stop raining here!

i'm with giggles, it depends on how much temp you are going to lose during that time in your mash tun, and how anal you are about this particular beer. if you you going to be doing a more traditional length mash i would say mash under 154... but more likely than not you will lose a few degrees over the 2 hours so maybe starting at 154 wont be so bad. you could always wrap up your mash tun in a sleeping bag or blankets if you want to keep it nice and cozy.... you'll have yummy beer either way. :tank:

Some folks even mash overnight in their cooler. I've done a couple hours with no problem.

once the starches are converted, they are converted... right? what i'm getting at is if they convert at 150, and the temp drops to say 110 overnight, the sugars wont "change" will they?

Just wondering...taking this to the extreme...I had a late brew day, and left the cleanup for the next morning.

10 hours, or so, and that mash tun had some stank to it. I would guess it was around 120 or 130 still (pretty hot to the touch), but I wasn't curious enough to get the thermometer near the funk when I dumped it into the composter.

Any idea when a mash becomes overdone and thin, and when an overdone mash (or at least the spent grain) becomes unsafe? I guess it was so surprising because I knew that people mash overnight, and I thought that batch sparging at 170 was effectively pasteurizing things, anyway.

once the starches are converted, they are converted... right? what i'm getting at is if they convert at 150, and the temp drops to say 110 overnight, the sugars wont "change" will they?
Sorta. To oversimplify, the enzymes break long starch chains into smaller sugar chains. As soon as the starch is split, it is converted. Initially, enzymatic action results in dextrins - complex sugars that are unfermentable (in finished beer, dextrins are responsible for body/mouthfeel). Additional enzymatic activity must further deconstruct the molecule chains before the sugars are simple enough to be metabolized by yeast. Therefore, conversion can be complete in a very short period of time (15-20 mins), however, the desired results may not be achieved until after an additional period of time. Too long of a mash may result in less body and/or more dryness in the final product.

Does that mean a two hour mash is too long? It depends. For a crisp, dry Czech pils where some of the grain bill is slightly under-modified malt, a two hour mash may be just fine (or even required. For a Belgian wit, a long mash may destroy some of the desirable velvety mouthfeel.

Of course, all of this is also quite temperature dependent. To retain some body after a long, unattended mash, start the mash hot (in the upper 150s or even low 160s). To achieve a very dry beer, start the mash at a cooler temperature (in the low 150s or even high 140s).

Read here for a bit more in-depth explanation of enzymatic activity in the mash:
http://www.winning-homebrew.com/enzymes.html

Sorta. To oversimplify, the enzymes break long starch chains into smaller sugar chains. As soon as the starch is split, it is converted. Initially, enzymatic action results in dextrins - complex sugars that are unfermentable (in finished beer, dextrins are responsible for body/mouthfeel). Additional enzymatic activity must further deconstruct the molecule chains before the sugars are simple enough to be metabolized by yeast. Therefore, conversion can be complete in a very short period of time (15-20 mins), however, the desired results may not be achieved until after an additional period of time. Too long of a mash may result in less body and/or more dryness in the final product.

Does that mean a two hour mash is too long? It depends. For a crisp, dry Czech pils where some of the grain bill is slightly under-modified malt, a two hour mash may be just fine (or even required. For a Belgian wit, a long mash may destroy some of the desirable velvety mouthfeel.

Of course, all of this is also quite temperature dependent. To retain some body after a long, unattended mash, start the mash hot (in the upper 150s or even low 160s). To achieve a very dry beer, start the mash at a cooler temperature (in the low 150s or even high 140s).

Read here for a bit more in-depth explanation of enzymatic activity in the mash:
http://www.winning-homebrew.com/enzymes.html

Good answer, Yuri. I feel that many brewers don't appreciate the effect of the mash time on the sugar profile. As long as the enzymes are still active you are continuously creating a more fermentable wort. A 1 hour mash at 150 maybe be the same as a 2 hour mash at 158. I made up those numbers, but hopefully that makes the point.

Back