Three week dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone actually have evidence of this "grassy" or "vegetal" flavor that magically happens when you dry hop longer than 2 weeks? I've never experienced it. I brew mainly Ipa's and pales of which I dry hop at least half of them. I usually do it in the serving keg (42F) I have left some for 6 weeks with no ill effects.

The others I dry hop in my conditioning kegerator (60f) for 10 days to sometimes 3 weeks, with no ill effects. So I guess only some people experience these effects, I haven't.

This may have more to do with the hop variety than the time frame or temp (within reason) I think.

An article I found on dryhopping in BYO:

"Some brewers feel that if the hops are in the beer for more than a few weeks, the beer develops a “grassy” flavor. Personally, I’ve never experienced it, despite leaving hops in my kegs for as long as six weeks."

I second this. When I dry hop, I do it in the keg, and the hops don't come out untill the beer is done.

If you guys don't notice grassy odors or flavors, then more power to ya. I wish i couldn't detect it, but i can.

I leave them in also until the keg is gone also. I do however suspend the hop bag midway so technically it is on the beer half way through. I would not be afraid to have it on the bottom of the keg. I've never noticed any off flavors.

If you guys don't notice grassy odors or flavors, then more power to ya. I wish i couldn't detect it, but i can.

Same here. If I leave it on the hops for 2 weeks @ room temp, I can taste the vegetal flavors. Temperature is def a factor in this though.

I would like to build a hopback to help reduce the need to dryhop. But it's a little different aroma though

I made an Amarillo SMaSH and didn't get around to bottling it for about 2 months after dry hopping. I noticed vegetal flavors for the first few weeks but after a little aging it went away and was a very nice brew.

Back