need a suggestion for next batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
Well, I'm in the middle of something using 9 lb of english 2 row--supposedly will come out close to Bass. I'm feeling rather ambitious and was thinking I might want to immediately follow it with something that's ready much sooner--yes, i'm thinking a session beer.
It needs to use some of the following ingredients (what I have):
english 2 row
crystal malt (40 or 80)
roasted barley,
flaked barley,
oatmeal,
choc. malt
fuggles and/or cascade hops.

I want it to be good and ready to drink from the bottles about 3 to 4 weeks from the minute I start fermenting it--preferably 3...

What am I describing--and where might I find the recipe?

I had a similiar problem a couple of months ago. I had a bunch of leftover ingredients, and didn't know what to do with them.
I looked a bunch of recipes, from all sorts of different styles, and came up with my own recipe. All i really had to buy was the hops and yeast. I have NO idea what style it would be considered, but since it was made from leftover parts, I called it Jungenstein Ale (a play on my last name and Dr. Frankenstein), and I can say that it came out GREAT ! In fact, after my Memorial day cook-out yesterday, I have only two bombers left, stashed away.

An already long story short, just try to come up with something on your own, and see what happens.

Sounds like an English-style brown ale to me, though probably minus the oatmeal. Hell, anything you make will be drinkable and probably even really good.

I am thinking a Leftovers Stout. Depending apon how much Chocolate and roasted you have left. The crystal 80 could add the rest of the color if it is too light. Oatmeal and fuggle hops would be good in a stout.

My experience with stouts is that they take 2-4 weeks to ferment, then 6+ weeks to be any good in the bottles, so that style is out. I need something that goes quickly from brewpot to beer mug.

Back