Anyone brewed chicha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
My wife is planting a ancient blue corn that she wants to make it with.
Im trying to debate how to put this recipe together. Any ideas would help.

Watch Brewmasters on Netflix. The guys at dogfishhead do one in an episode. They actually chew it to get the enzymes going, but they spoke to one lady who makes it regionally (I think they're in Mexico?) and she says modern (modified) corn already has the enzymes. Though if you're planning to use an ancient corn, you might have to go to work or maybe mash it with some barley to convert the sugars. I have no idea how youre thinking about doing it, but this is everything ive heard about it. Good luck!

Or you can grind up some corn and do a long mash with some 6 row to convert it. It won't be 100% chicha but it could be your own spin on it.

Ya I though of that but my wife wants to grow it which im ok with I eas thinking of cutting the corn off the cob and then mash it with 2row.

"...mighty mighty pleasin', pappy's corn squeezin'..."

... anyway, two things to consider - the first would be to germinate/malt the corn before brewing to make the starches viable for brewing and using some 6-row for the enzymes as mentioned by Indian_villager (interesting if Nahuatl!): http://xb-70.com/beer/chicha/ch_malti.htm

... also, I would bet that the vast majority of authentic chicha is made with wild yeast, so you might have to think about whether to go safe and maybe use a hefe strain or go for it and use some sourdough starter.

suerte

... anyway, two things to consider - the first would be to germinate/malt the corn before brewing to make the starches viable for brewing

Isn't that unnecessary? I thought you could just mash it straight up (a la flaked corn, instant grits) - is "brewing" corn malted? For some reason that sounds weird to me.

get some false teeth to protect your teeth... or collect saliva in a mortar and pistol then add corn... either way lets hope the end justify the means

Brewmasters is awesome! Good luck with it. Just keep a glass of water on hand so you don't yack haha

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ya not planning on chewing it. Im thinking of soaking the corn to germinate it

Back