What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transferred my stout last night, made a starter for my Monk Tophula Quad, prepared water for tomorrow, measured my grain bill for tomorrow, made some Blegian Candi sugar and Syrup today for tomorrow's brew day. Oh dayam it's gonna be a big bad a$$ beer, can't wait to brew it cause it's gotta age for a long time.

I started making Christmas presents....
This year, I'm giving friends an assortment of 4 brews along with a new beer glass and a bottle opener, all in a 6-pack holder

I bottled Moose Drool and Honey Ale this morning, tomorrow I'm bottling Dragons Milk and Gulden Draak.
To make it more "fun" for them, I'm only labelling the bottles A, B, C and D

Made my first attempt at making home made belgian candi sugar, which turned out fantastic. Sitting on a pound of deep amber/brown candi sugar, have a no edges brownie pan so they're all in the shape of little ingots so they look awesome (they look too cool to break up into little pieces right now).

Cleaned and sanitized 3 kegs and kegged an American Brown, an AIPA (a la Celebration), and a ginger hard cider.

This weekend was great, brewed one gallon all grain SMaSH and brewed the all grain version of the hard root beer. First time brewing all grain and did great on my sparges and numbers, made some spent grain pizza then too today it turned out better then I was expecting

image-596216680.jpg

image-4258032858.jpg

image-2820791850.jpg

A few colleagues and I are starting a homebrew club in our campus, with the purpose of spreading the word, offering some basic info and training, facilitating group buys, arranging tasting sessions, etc. We were given a room for the brewing part next to the cafeteria that was being used to store two huge, old, greasy deep-fryers from Hell. So today we hauled those heavy mofos to another room...

I'm pretty excited about this. Homebrewing is a pretty new thing in Portugal (definitely a wine country) and more and more people are starting to brew. We're finally starting to have a few microbreweries (about 10 on a commercial level already), and there were one or two craft beer fests this year.

I brewed up a 1.4L starter, of WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast, for a pale I have lined up. Waiting for the contents to cool down, so I can pitch the yeast and start drinking.
:mug:

I'll also be topping off my pomegranate wine, later.

I had built my fermentation chamber set up for heat but today I rigged a heater for a saison i brewed over the weekend, waiting to see an uphill climb.:D

Set up a keg w/ priming sugar to keg condition my Cream Ale. I'll transfer the beer tomorrow.
Also, cleaned out the just emptied keg if my Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Porter & replaced it w/ my Belgian IPA.

A few colleagues and I are starting a homebrew club in our campus, with the purpose of spreading the word, offering some basic info and training, facilitating group buys, arranging tasting sessions, etc. We were given a room for the brewing part next to the cafeteria that was being used to store two huge, old, greasy deep-fryers from Hell. So today we hauled those heavy mofos to another room...

I'm pretty excited about this. Homebrewing is a pretty new thing in Portugal (definitely a wine country) and more and more people are starting to brew. We're finally starting to have a few microbreweries (about 10 on a commercial level already), and there were one or two craft beer fests this year.

Have you thought about converting the deep-fryers to Boil Kettles or Hot Liquor tanks?

Have you thought about converting the deep-fryers to Boil Kettles or Hot Liquor tanks?

or something to boil sous vide style using pumps? That could be a creative approach. Running the fryer grease through a coil in the wort to boil. Talk about ingenuity.

Picked up a vial of WLP838 for my first ever lager. I figure 10 or so days will be plenty of time to do a two step starter, with chilling and decanting.

And picked up some replacement parts for a leaky keg post/poppet. My nieces love it when I make root beer so I want to have some around over Christmas/New Years. Better fix the leak before I put 30 psi in there to carb the root beer.

Bottled 5.5 gals of Haus Pale Ale. It should be ready just in time to hand out for Christmas to Friends and Family. :mug:

HausAle_011.jpg

Not beer, but I'm trying to unstick a cider fermentation. Pasteur Champagne yeast has only managed to get it down to 1.005, steady for a few days. Just added a packet of rehydrated EC-1118 to try to get it down to about .990 or so.

I put a drain on a cooler to use for fly sparging. I also added a drill attachment to my corona mill and enclosed it in some tupperware to keep the grain explosion to a minimum... But then I ran out of time to brew today!

1470212_10202724251295391_1347768515_n.jpg

Loaded in the new kegs. Tapping for a party this weekend.

According to this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/index2.html#post4731051 you can get 4 ball locks on the floor. I got an almost.

Top right in the pic is my Common and it's kinda stuck between a keg and the wall and about 3" from the floor. I'm guessing one of them in there is a tad crooked. Anyway, tight squeeze. I'll probably go home today and wiggle them around a little to see if I can get them in better.

First time putting 4 kegs in there.

1470212_10202724251295391_1347768515_n.jpg

Loaded in the new kegs. Tapping for a party this weekend.

According to this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/index2.html#post4731051 you can get 4 ball locks on the floor. I got an almost.

Top right in the pic is my Common and it's kinda stuck between a keg and the wall and about 3" from the floor. I'm guessing one of them in there is a tad crooked. Anyway, tight squeeze. I'll probably go home today and wiggle them around a little to see if I can get them in better.

First time putting 4 kegs in there.

Careful, I wedged them in mine that way before and couldnt get the empty kegs out when i floated one. Was a huge PITA and I had to stand on the lip of the keezer to get enough leverage to remove it.

I immediately thought about something like that, since we will be using an electric mash tun/BK. Unfortunately I think the fryers will be sold for parts or something...I have to talk to the guy in charge of them. Maybe we could reuse the resistors and build an electric BK from a regular pot, a thermocouple and a temp controller.

Bought two used Speidel plastic fermenters, one 30L, one 12L.

Today, I brewed the entire afternoon, making a SMaSH of Golden Promise, and Mosaic hops. Targeting 6%ABV, and 42 IBU's. The wort tasted very smooth, and mellow. Now, I'm just cleaning up everything. Took me all of 7 hours to finish this one.

Careful, I wedged them in mine that way before and couldnt get the empty kegs out when i floated one. Was a huge PITA and I had to stand on the lip of the keezer to get enough leverage to remove it.

Too late now ;) but, yeah, it's going to be a pita. Plus side is the one that is sitting up a little is the common. Tasted it last night and it's pretty swell so it might be the first to go making it (hopefully) a little easier.

Last night spent three hours learning how to set up a Miller 350 LX weld machine and practiced running beads down some scrap stainless. End goal is kettle, conical, and brew stand welds of course. More practice this weekend.

Today, I kegged a 5 gal batch of my American Stout W/ Rye, that I brewed last week. OG: 1.070 - FG: 1.014. Which makes 7.35%ABV.

All my beers are Bottled,porter might get 1 or 2 days fridge time for Christmas. Stout will go in the fridge in a couple days. IPA's gettin low. The last couple days I've been Writing my sci-fi story about a guy who's saved from the FEMA camps by the fact that he's a home brewer. So that's something at least. Gotta try to increase the ol' cash flow doing something I like that isn't very physical. My back's done with that stuff.

Scaled up 2 recipes from 10gal to 6bbl and calculated costs vs. profits so we can calculate how many brews per month we gotta brew to pay salaries and bills, planning for brewing a milk stout tomorrow, and probably running all over town after work gathering ingredients for tomorrow's brew.

nukebrewer said:
Not beer, but I'm trying to unstick a cider fermentation. Pasteur Champagne yeast has only managed to get it down to 1.005, steady for a few days. Just added a packet of rehydrated EC-1118 to try to get it down to about .990 or so.

That's really strange. I'd think I'd like a cider better if it stopped that high. I've never heard of cider stopping above 1.000 other than yours and I think Hello had some problems.

gmh1975 said:
Last night spent three hours learning how to set up a Miller 350 LX weld machine and practiced running beads down some scrap stainless. End goal is kettle, conical, and brew stand welds of course. More practice this weekend.

You would need to be able to sanitary weld to make a conical. That's beyond the skill of most commercial welders. Good luck with the Stan and kettle though. I really need to learn to weld.

BrewinHooligan said:
Scaled up 2 recipes from 10gal to 6bbl and calculated costs vs. profits so we can calculate how many brews per month we gotta brew to pay salaries and bills, planning for brewing a milk stout tomorrow, and probably running all over town after work gathering ingredients for tomorrow's brew.

Yeehaw. Who knew we'd ever need algebra?

Made some candi syrup. It's ok, wish I would've bought some when I could have though. Racking a 'belgian' pale ale to secondary with fantome brett. Had hoped for a dryer beer that I could have just brett bottled, but oh wells. Need to bottle my wild cider, not really feeling it. Want to split into 4 bottlings, plain and 3 different bretts, but i've got the lazeys.

Got a starter going for my brew tomorrow, an all Citra DIPA. Not necessarily trying to clone Abrasive, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out somewhere in the same neighborhood as Abrasive.

Brewed up an American rye wheat from BCS. I ended up with a stuck mash from the 50% rye and wheat grist, so by the time I cleared it, I was a little low on sparge water. Counter flow chiller also stuck for the first time mid-chill. Could have definitely been worse ways to spend my day off.

Bottled 5 gallons of an Oktoberfest lager. Then transferred a European pilsner from primary to secondary. I just finished the sparge on a Dunkelweizen. I forgot to heat up my mash tun before adding the grain and water, so my strike water temp was too low, and my efficiency took a pretty big hit at 77% mash efficiency. I'll be lucky to break 70% brewhouse efficiency. Oh well.

Fretted.

Have people coming over tonight. Flat Saison. Almost Flat Belgian Strong. IIPA all foam.

No leaks in my kegs but the two flat ones, I purged and cranked to 30psi for 48 hours. Hooked back up at 10psi couple hours ago. No dice.

IIPA might be too cold so I am 'heating' up the keezer. Purged the tank. Will let it sit while I run errands and then hit it back to 10 and pray. Smells great and tastes great but nothing but foam coming through the line.

4 beers, all sat for at least a month natural carbing. All 4 acting differently.

Woe is me.

I don't keg, so I have no advice. Good luck with it all. You'll know who is your best friend by their reactions. My money is on the dog. :)
I only washed some bottles today, I might yet wash some yeast.

Cracked open a bottle of homebrew that has been conditioning. Came out perfect. Found my new base recipe.

Transferred my FBS clone from the keg it was secondarying into a fresh keg, and kegged up a Boddingtons clone. Next week I should have the fermenter space to cook up anothe Zombie Dust clone.

Latest posts

Back