Yeast Got a 2nd Wind?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
So there I was in the kitchen thinking about racking my new recipe into secondary to put it in the garage for some nature powered cold crashing. When all of a sudden I hear "bloop-bloop".

It appears that my yeast has gotten a second wind. Generally my usual yeast is pretty safely finished after about a week or very very slow. Now it's back up to a couple steady bubbles a minute.

This is my first real partial mash batch, and I goofed on my malt and didn't use enough to make up for the extract I left out. So I knew it probably would be finished ahead of my usual schedule. The sudden increase in activity is quite a surprise.

I just hope it hurries up now though. I planned on sending a few conditioning bottles back to Buffalo with my brother so he'd have it once it was finished. lol

I had a pumpkin ale that took 4 days to show any airlock activity, 3 weeks later and it's still bubbling. Cold Crashed it and it still bubbled. Kegged it with just a tiny bit of CO2 to fill the head space. Since the hydrometer was telling me it was done.

Back