Help..I forgot an step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSbrewer

Reaction score
I was brewing last night and had a few people over. We got to drinking and I forgot to put my dry malt extract in my beer. I was making a hefe weizen and it called for a half gallon of liq. wheat extract and a pound of dry.....Should I throw this beer awayt or continue to let it ferment??????

Combine dry malt extract and about a quart of water and bring to boil for 5-10 minutes. Let it cool to room temp (or at least let it cool for a while) and then dump it in fermenter with the rest of the wort. If you use a funnel (if your fermenter is a carboy), be sure to sanitize it prior to use.

Your beer will be fine. good luck!

Ditto on boil in small amount of water and add to fermenter..sanitize funnel..

also for future beers avoid drinking until flame out...boiling hot wort is dangerous and forgetting steps leads to more headaches than it is worth..I'm always a fan of drinking home brew while you make home brew but in moderation..

Jay

I really appreciate the help....my friend that brews with me was a little ticked off b/c Im the one that is suppose be informed....will try drinking in moderation until end of process

Don't worry. We've all made mistakes. Just be careful drinking until your done. That goes double fold if you have a glass carboy. Being drunk and handling those is a surefire way to hurt you or somebody. Afterwards, have at it and welcome to HBT from another Jacksonian.

I limit myself to 1 beer until the yeast is pitched. I'll drink more during cleanup, but since I usually finish after midnight, it's often only 2 beers total.

found I screwed up too much if I drank too much. The really scary thing is breaking the carboy - a really good reason not to drink until you are done.

Back