Air Force Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I know we got a few AF guys out here (past/present) and I got a question. My son is an enlisted Imagery Analysis airman 3+ years in. He applied to OTS and learned two days ago he got accepted (Proud pa)!

Anyways, he assumed he'd still be in the intel field with his top secret clearance. The next day he learned he'd be heading into logistics. He seems pretty bummed and he's having a heck of a time trying to get a clear answer on what this field really means/performs thus far. He knows not accepting would shut the officer door in the future so he's going forward with it and spinning it positive in his head.

Anyone know what this field really entails or does it vary widely by base assignment? I didn't even see this described in officer career areas on the web. I'm just kind of curious as in my company this is a pretty boring area to be in if it means similar :cross:.

Unfortunately, more than likely he'll stay in that field. It is just a matter of where the positions are opened. Once you are in , it is hard to move out of it.

Congrats though! That is going to be awesome for him.

If he is not a rated officer- They will do with him what they please. Hes going to be moving every few years as well.

As far as assignments- the lower the rank the better the options. As you climb the chain you either have to have a good friend in high places or you go whereever your Commander tells you is good for your carreer.

The problem with logistics is EVERYTHING is part of logistics...:eek:

I was an Integrated Logistics Manager for 7 years...worse job of my life...much like a PM at a lower level, but with all the responsibility and none of the authority...:mad:

Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured it was a rather nebulous area.

DesertBrew said:
Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured it was a rather nebulous area.

My buddy just reclassed into logistics, it does widely vary by base and deals a lot with deployment scheduling.

What I know of Logistics is that they are the guys that help get people and equipment from base A to base B. They know just how much will fit inside cargo aircraft and just how much more they can squeeze in.

Tell him not to give up on getting back into Intelligence. Our careerfield is stressed to the limit right now. We have people home for 6 months and deployed for six months every year with no end in sight. People are getting out all the time.

Cakehole said:
What I know of Logistics is that they are the guys that help get people and equipment from base A to base B. They know just how much will fit inside cargo aircraft and just how much more they can squeeze in.

Tell him not to give up on getting back into Intelligence. Our careerfield is stressed to the limit right now. We have people home for 6 months and deployed for six months every year with no end in sight. People are getting out all the time.

Thanks - regarding intelligence & stressed, yea that's kind of why he was suprised.

Thanks - regarding intelligence & stressed, yea that's kind of why he was suprised.

That doesnt mean the officer career field is the same way. AD officers dont deploy nearly as much in that capacity.

MikeFlynn74 said:
That doesnt mean the officer career field is the same way. AD officers dont deploy nearly as much in that capacity.

Well, I am an Intelligence Officer and I can tell you that we do deploy just as much as our enlisted folks. In fact, we have 4 officers in my shop and 2 of the 4 deploy every time we go someplace. We have 8 Enlisted folks and only 2 of them deploy. So, simple math in public, the O's are looking at a 50% chance to be picked for the deployment where the E's are only looking at a 25% chance of getting picked.

It really does not matter anymore if you are an O or an E. Intelligence is just one of those jobs where you will be away from home a good portion of your career.

We are also one of the lucky career fields that just went to a 179 day deployment rather than a 120 day tour.

Now, my plans are to make sure I have all of my better bottles full of something than can age and mature for the 179 days I am away from home. Being able to look forward to 20 gallons of Ed's Apfelwine when I get home just might make deploying more rewarding in the future.

Cakehole

Weird. But then again you are in the Guard right?

If I cant get a rated position I was looking at Intel. Ours dont deploy more than 90 at a time.

Yes, I am in the New Mexico Air National Guard.

Those 90 day deployments are quickly going to become a thing of the past for Intel. Now if you deploy with your Unit on a normal AEF rotation 90 is probably the norm, but they have recently been invol'ing Intel for 179 day tours to help make up for the shortfalls on the AD side of things and give those poor AD guys a little breathing room.

I was told that we would be on the hook to provide at least 2 bodies for 179 days once every year for the next 5 years minimum. Could grow to more than that if AD does nothing to stop people from leaving the service.

I was told that we would be on the hook to provide at least 2 bodies for 179 days once every year for the next 5 years minimum. Could grow to more than that if AD does nothing to stop people from leaving the service.

My problem is I am the only one in my Career field in Anchorage. So I get to deploy every time.

MikeFlynn74 said:
My problem is I am the only one in my Career field in Anchorage. So I get to deploy every time.

Ouch ! !

I am almost in the same position. I am the only Officer in my shop above the rank of 2nd LT, so I am actually the only one that can deploy without a waiver. Waivers are not that hard to get, but there is still a chance they will be denied.

Unless something drastic changes, ( like we hire a Captain+ ) I am on the hook for about the next 15 months as the only deployable Officer in my Intel shop.

Yea Im hoping to knock out the last 9 classes of my BS and upgrade to Officer. Problem is they havent upgraded many of the positions and I will be damned if I work as a 2Lt making only GS9

heh... I am a Captain, promotable to Major in June...working as a GS-12....

I really get tired of the pilots I work with ( the ones that are GS-13 + the Pilot bonus of a ton of cash ) trying to tell me that my monthly drill check makes up the difference between GS-12 and AGR Captain pay. I can't wait to show them the loss of pay when I pin on Major...

I'm in the Logistics squad, and tell him not to worry, He'll be moving from flight to flight and even out of the squadron.

I can't tell you how many officers I've had in my flights. haha

Oh, and for the hell of it, I'm a pissant SrA E-4.

I really get tired of the pilots I work with ( the ones that are GS-13 + the Pilot bonus of a ton of cash ) trying to tell me that my monthly drill check makes up the difference between GS-12 and AGR Captain pay. I can't wait to show them the loss of pay when I pin on Major...

Thats a crock of **** and any of our pilots will tell you- 25K a year pilot bonus on top of cola/housing... A major in AK will take home about 2000 a month more than a GS12. Drill pay is what 400?

DB,

First and formost, congrats to your son. Prior-enlisted officers are becoming less common with force-shaping and the acceptance percentages to OTS declining. He must be a great troop.

I am also a LRO and I love my job(s), except for the frequent deployments that keep me away from my family more that I'd like... One of the better benefits about this career field, is that he'll have a new job every year or so. Great for people (like me) with short attention spans...

Have him PM me if he wants the straight-poop on what to expect. I guess he can also just go over to the LRS and ask them as well. It can be an awesome place to work.

Michael

Back